Milton History

a pictorial history of Milton, PA

Milton Weaving Company

Milton Weaving Company - 58 Center Street

This company was chartered on June 7, 1906 by John P. Hackenberg and manufactured lamp wick, with a capacity of 30,000 yards daily. It burned due to an electrical fire on January 21, 1913. Court proceedings are shown below. Judging from the pictures, Hackenberg had his queensware business here and built a new building for the wick business just to the right, at number 56.

From Atlantic Reporter, Volume 96, Page 135, West Publishing Co., 1916:  Decision of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court

Trespass by the Milton Weaving Company (plaintiff) against the Northumberland County Gas & Electric Company for the destruction of plaintiff’s mill.

From a judgment on directed verdict for defendant, plaintiff appeals. Affirmed. Argued before BROWN, C. J., and MESTREZAT, MOSCHZISKER, and FRAZER, JJ.

O. R. Savidge, of Sunbury, and Wm. H. Hackenberg, of Milton, for appellant

Seth T. McCormick, of Williamsport, J. Fred Schaffer and F. A. Witmer, both of Sunbury, for appellee.

FRAZER, Justice. Plaintiff owned and operated a weaving mill located in the borough of Milton, and defendant furnished electric current for lighting plaintiff’s property. On January 21, 1913, plaintiff’s mill and contents were destroyed by fire, caused by a short circuit at the point where defendant’s service wires passed through the outer wall of plaintiff’s building to connect with a switch box and fuse box located inside the mill. Plaintiff’s evidence tended to show that at the time of the fire the wires were attached to the building by glass insulators mounted on wooden brackets, and entered the building through iron conduits, which were not fitted with porcelain tubing, and one of which was without bushing at one end, to prevent the Insulation on the wire from rubbing against the sharp edge of the pipe through which it passed. The conduits sloped inward, instead of outward, and the wires at the point where they entered the mill were without “drip loops” to prevent water from rain and snow entering the conduit and flowing into the building. As a result of such defective construction water entered the tubes or conduits, which contained wires with insulation not fitted to withstand moisture. This condition or the absence of proper insulation around the wires as they entered the conduit, or the combination of both, caused a short circuit to be created, which set fire to the building and resulted in its destruction.