This view is to the southeast toward Elm Street from the footbridge over Limestone Run, next to the lower Buoy block. The tannery can be seen to the right. The footbridge was used by the Miltonian Fire Company to lead their horses to stable. The picture was probably taken in the 1880s, after the fire and before Samuel J. Shimer bought the land to expand his cutterhead factory between Race and Mahoning Streets.
The houses on Elm Street, starting on the left, were occupied in 1900 as follows: No. 160 - William P. Wendell, Justice of the Peace; double house at no. 164 and 166 - William Krisher, Clerk and John F. Wolfinger, Telegrapher; no. 168 - John Peeler, blacksmith.
Photo courtesy of the Milton Historical Society