Notes


Matches 351 to 400 of 1,347

      «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
351 Catherine Huff, age 69 was living with the family. HUFF, James M. (I1712)
 
352 Charles A. Kram was born at Milton, Pa., and graduated from the public schools in 1884, and from Bucknell University and later from Georgetown University, where he received the degree of bachelor of laws in 1893. He taught school for some time before completing his education and then entered the Post Office Department at Washington in 1890 and steadily worked his way to the front, until, in March, 1911, he was appointed by President Taft to the responsible position of Auditor for the Post Office Department. KRAMM, Charles A. (I7096)
 
353 CHARLES AIKEN GODCHARLES, son of Henry and Esther (Price) Godcharles, was born at Farrandsville, Clinton Co., Pa., Dec. 8, 1843. He attended the public schools for a few years, and learned the trade of nailmaker, under his father, who was a pioneer nailmaker in this country, traveling all the way from his native place in Canada by foot. At a very tender age Mr. Godcharles enlisted for service in the Civil war in Company G, 131st Pennsylvania Volunteers, and reenlisted in Company A, 201st Pennsylvania Volunteers. After the close of the war he followed his trade at Duncannon, Pa., and later removed to Northumberland, where he accepted a similar position with Van Alen & Co. In 1874 he headed a company which built a nail mill at Milton, later one at Towanda, and then a third at Northumberland. He retired from active business a few years before his death, which occurred January 17,1903. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, belonging to all the bodies, and was a prominent member of the Republican party. GODCHARLES, Charles Aiken (I68)
 
354 Charles Aiken Godcharles, son of Henry and Esther (Price) Godcharles, was born at Farrandsville, Clinton Co., Pa., December 8, 1843. He attended the public schools for a few years, and learned the trade of nail maker under his father, who was a pioneer nail maker in this country. At a very tender age Mr.Godcharles enlisted during the Civil War in Company G, 131st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and again re-enlisted as a sergeant in Company A, 201st Regiment.

After the war he followed his trade at Duncannon, Pa., and later removed to Northumberland, where he accepted a similar position for Van Allen & Company. In 1874 he headed a company which built the nail mill at Milton, later the one at Towanda and a third at Northumberland. A few years before his death, which occurred January 17, 1903, he retired from active business, which his three sons, Brothers Fred. A., William B. and Walter A., are now conducting. He was a brother of William H. and Johnson B. Godcharles. 
GODCHARLES, Charles Aiken (I68)
 
355 CHARLES COMLY STRINE

Brief Biographical Sketch From the Philadelphia Ledger
His Remains Will be Cremated and the Ashes
Will be Brought to This Place For Interment

Yesterday's Philadelphia Ledger says: Charles Comly Strine, who for nearly a half century was employed on newspapers in this city, died yesterday, in his seventy first year, at his home in Ridley Park, Delaware County. Apoplexy was the cause of death.

Mr. Strine was born at Milton, Northumberland County, Pa., on March 28, 1831. He came to this city nearly fifty years ago and was employed on the Press when it was founded by Colonel John W. Forney. He served in the 90th and 119th Pennsylvania Volunteers during the Civil war, and was made lieutenant for meritorious service on the field. After returning from the army he was employed on the Record, and later on the Public Ledger, retiring three years ago from active pursuits. He was an active member in Typographical Union, No. 2, and also a member of the 119th Pennsylvania Volunteers' Association. He leaves a widow and two sons, Charles W. and Robert P. Strine. The funeral will be held on Monday. The remains will be cremated and the ashes taken to Milton for interment.

The Milton Evening Standard February 14, 1902, Page 1 
STRINE, Charles Comly (I2733)
 
356 Charles F. Leinbach was born Jan. 28, 1866, in Turbut township, Northumberland county, and after attending the local schools went to the academy at Limestoneville, Montour county. He also spent one year in study at the normal school in Hickory, N.C. Upon his return home in 1888, he began clerking at the store of W. L. Raup, where he remained five years, subsequently clerking one year in West Milton and then six years with the Schreyer & Sons Company, at Milton. He has since been in business on his own account. He bought out the grocery of D. L. Hogue of Watsontown, which he conducted for two years, until 1904, that year returning to Milton and establishing himself at his present location, No. 436 Broadway. Here he has a first-class store, dealing in groceries, flour and feed, and he enjoys a steady and lucrative patronage, built up by honorable methods and earnest efforts to please his customers, who appreciate his attention to their wants and his ability to meet all the requirements of his trade. Mr. Leinbach is deservedly a much respected citizen of the borough in which he makes his home. On Dec. 27, 1895, Mr. Leinbach married Sarah C. Lahr, who was born Nov. 11, 1872, daughter of William B. and Sarah (Sterner) Lahr, and died March 24, 1907; she is interred at the Harmony cemetery at Milton. Mr. and Mrs. Leinbach had one daughter, Mary Helen, who was born May 20, 1900. The family home is at No. 432 Broadway, Milton. Socially Mr. Leinbach is a member of Castle No. 265, K.G.E., and Commandery No. 27, K. of M. He is active in the work of St. John's Reformed Church, which be has served as a member of the consistory. LEINBACH, Charles F. (I5681)
 
357 CHARLES H. STRINE DIES VERY SUDDENLY

Lifelong Resident of Milton Passed Away Early This Morning at His Home on South Front Street Funeral on Thursday Afternoon

Charles H. Strine, a lifelong resident of Milton, died very suddenly early this morning at his home on South Front Street. He seemed to be in his usual health when he retired, but about 1:30 o'clock Mrs. Strine was awakened by a peculiar noise and she found that Mr. Strine was very ill. He died before medical aid could reach him. He was sixty-nine years old. Mr. Strine spent his entire life in Milton. He was employed by the Milton Manufacturing Company. The deceased was a charter member of the P.O.S. of A. Lodge.

Surviving are his wife, the following children, Mrs. Elmer E. Johnson, William G. Strine, Miss Carrie G. Strine, Mrs. H. I. Greenwalt, of Milton; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Stryker, of Watsontwon, Mrs. Kathryn Pfleeger, of Hepburn Street; two brothers, Harry Strine, of Shakespeare Avenue; Clarence Strine of Center Street; seven grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Funeral services will be held on Thursday afternoon at two o'clock from his late home on South Front Street. Further services will be held at 2:30 o'clock from Christ Lutheran Church. The services will be conducted by Rev. K. E. Irvin, pastor of the church, and Rev. Owens. Interment will be made in Harmony Cemetery.

Milton Evening Standard July 12, 1921, Page 1 
STRINE, Charles H. (I2729)
 
358 Charles H. Wilhelm was born at Milton, April 20, 1846, son of Henry and Mary A. (Wolfinger) Wilhelm. He received his education at the Milton Academy. He engaged in clerking for sometime, for seven years was the proprietor of the Danville Hotel, and has since been engaged in the livery business and dealing in horses. In1868 he married Elizabeth R., daughter of John L. Goodlander, of Milton. She died in 1871, leaving two children: John Henry, born February 10, 1869, and Linda B., born May 22, 1871.

He married in 1875 Katie J., daughter of William H. Bright, of Ashland, Pennsylvania, who died in 1884 leaving two children: Anna B., who was born on the 15th of July, 1876, and died on the 15th of July, 1890; and William Bright, who was born on the13th of February, 1878. 
WILHELM, Charles H. (I7520)
 
359 Charles Heber Dickerman was born Feb. 3, 1843, in Harford, Susquehanna Co., Pa., and there received his early education in the public schools. He supplemented this with a course at Harvard University, being graduated from that institution in 1860. For several years afterwards he was engaged in teaching in the public schools of Susquehanna and Luzerne counties. In 1862 he was registered as a law student in the office of Hon. Daniel S. Dickinson, at Binghamton, N.Y., but in 1863 he abandoned the law and accepted a position with Carter & Son, coal operators at Beaver Meadows, Carbon Co., Pa.

In 1868 he removed to Bethlehem, Pa., and engaged in the coal commission business. In 1869 he became interested in the Chapman Slate Company, Chapman Quarries, Northampton Co., Pa., miners and manufacturers of roofing slate and other slate products, was elected secretary of that company, and in 1870 was chosen general manager.

In 1880 he became associated with S. W. Murray in the manufacture of freight cars, and removed to Milton, where he has since resided. The firm of Murray, Dougal & Co. Limited, with which Mr. Dickerman was associated, engaged extensively in the building of railroad freight cars, and Mr. Dickerman continued his active connection with the establishment until the entire plant was sold, in 1899, to the American Car & Foundry Company, the present owners. The firm of Murray, Dougal & Co. Limited gave employment to several hundred men, and was an important factor in the industrial welfare of the community.

Mr. Dickerman has been interested in numerous financial institutions. He was for many years a director of the Second National Bank of Mauch Chunk, Pa., of the Lehigh Valley National Bank, of Bethlehem, Pa., of the Sunbury Trust & Safe Deposit Company, Sunbury, Pa.; and of the First National Bank of Milton, Pa., of which latter he became president in 1897, and is still serving in that capacity. He has always been an unswerving, uncompromising Democrat, and a fearless, outspoken advocate of Democratic principles. He served for three years as chairman of the county committee of Northumberland County. In 1891 he was elected a delegate to the Constitutional convention to form a new constitution for this State, and was a delegate to the National convention in 1892. In November, 1902, he was elected a member of Congress, representing the Sixteenth Congressional district, served as a member of the Fifty-eighth Congress, and declined a renomination and reelection, preferring private life. In 1905 he was appointed by President Roosevelt delegate to the Peace congress which met at Brussels, Belgium, on Aug. 14th of that year.

Mr. Dickerman was married March 10, 1869, at Beaver Meadows, Carbon Co., Pa., to Joy Ivy, daughter of William and Margaret Carter, natives of Cornwall, England, where Mrs. Dickerman was born. Four children were the fruits of this union: Adelia Margaret (Mrs. Howard H. Williams, Plainfield N.J.), William Carter (vice president of the American Car & Foundry Company, No. 165 Broadway, New York City), Grace Beatrice (Mrs. Guido C. Vogel, Milwaukee, Wis.) and Joy Chandler (Mrs. G. W. B. Fletcher, Philadelphia, Pa.). The family are attendants of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Dickerman is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Lawyers Club, of New York City. 
DICKERMAN, Charles Heber (I248)
 
360 CHARLES L . HAUSE, a business man of Milton, where he has been established in the plumbing and heating line since 1896, is a native of that place, born, Nov. 22, 1870, son of John. R. Hause. He received his education in the public schools of Milton. In 1892 he went to Lock Haven, Pa., where he served a full apprenticeship at his trade, and in 1895 he went thence to Philadelphia, where he was employed at his trade about seven months. Business there being slack, he came to Shamokin, Northumberland county, where he followed his trade for six months, at the end of that time returning to Milton, where he has since been located.

On March 2, 1896, he entered into partnership with E. F. Colvin, and they opened a place of business at No. 124 South Front street, Milton. This partnership was dissolved by mutual consent the 2d of August, following, Mr. Hause purchasing Mr. Colvin's interest and continuing the business at the same stand for several years. In April, 1907, he moved into the new home which he had built at No. 119 Elm street, his new storeroom adjoining his residence; the store is neat and well arranged, and there is a commodious shop at the rear well equipped for all the needs of the business. He has built up an excellent and profitable trade by close application to business and satisfactory work for all his patrons, and he is a self-made man in the best sense of the word. Fraternally he is well known in the neighborhood, belonging to Lodge No. 184, I. O. O. F., of Milton; to the Knights of the Golden Eagle, and to Lodge No. 913, B. P. O. Elks, and Milton Lodge No. 256, F. & A. M.

In 1902 Mr. Hause married Bertha Gibson, daughter of Henry and Jane (Thomas) Gibson, of Limestoneville, Pa., granddaughter of Joseph Gibson, great-granddaughter of Henry Gibson and great-great-granddaughter of Joseph Gibson. Mr. and Mrs. Hause are members of Trinity Lutheran Church at Milton. 
HAUSE, Charles L. (I2576)
 
361 CHARLES LAFFERT WALDRON, of Milton, has been engaged in contracting and building since 1879, his work in this line covering practically the entire period of his residence at that place, as he began carpentering when he came to Milton, in the spring of 1871. His patrons in this borough and all the surrounding towns are numerous, many of the most substantial buildings in this section testifying to the thoroughness of his work and the part he has taken in its material development.

He was born Aug. 26, 1850, in Turbut township, and there grew to manhood. He assisted his father on the farm from an early age, especially during the summer season, but in the winters had good educational advantages, being sent to the academies at Limestoneville and McEwensville. In the spring of 1871 he came to Milton, where he at once began to do carpenter work, though he was engaged teaching school during the winters of 1874, 1875 and 1876. In 1879 he began contracting and building on his own account, and has since devoted himself to that line with most gratifying results. He is a progressive business man, in both his work and his methods of handling it, and success has come to him because he has made an earnest effort to do the best possible in his line. Outside of his service as school director he has taken no direct part in public affairs. He is a Democrat in politics.

On Feb. 3, 1876, Mr. Waldron married Clara Sharrow, daughter of Jonathan and Anna (Barclay) Sharrow, of Lycoming county, and they have one daughter, Grace Barclay Waldron, who is a graduate of the Milton high school, 1896, and of the Philadelphia Musical Academy, 1898, being particularly accomplished in music. Mr. Waldron and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church. 
WALDRON, Charles Laffert (I6040)
 
362 CHARLES MALADY - Livery, Sale and Exchange Stables, Rear of Smith & Co.'s Furniture Store.

In 1876 the above gentleman established this business, which was destroyed by fire in May,1880, losing every thing except the horses, the loss, however, being covered by insurance. The stable is a two-story brick building, a part of the lower floor being fitted up with accommodations for 14 horses and the other part used for keeping the carriages and buggies. The second floor is used for the storage of feed. The stock of horses and vehicles is among the best to be found in the town, and is obtainable upon application for balls, parties, weddings, funera1s, or pleasure driving. One of the features of this establishment is the sale and exchange department, and it does a good business in that line. Mr. Malady was born in this town February 18, 1840, and followed boating on the canal from 1861 until he started this business. His success is the outgrowth of his own energy and ability, and he justly merits it. 
MALADY, Charles Patrick (I222)
 
363 Children listed are Abraham and Samuel. ANGENY, William (I1353)
 
364 Children listed are Esther, Barbara, and Joseph. ANGENY, Samuel (I1352)
 
365 Children listed are Seth, Mary, Charles, and John HILL, Elijah (I1182)
 
366 Children listed living with the parents are Maria Elizabeth, Franklin, and Clarence. REDCAY, Abraham (I1581)
 
367 Christianna C. Kram is a daughter of David Kram of Bethlehem, Pa., and a granddaughter of Joseph Kram. Mrs. Bird is a woman possessed of many virtues and is held in the highest esteem by all who know her. Religiously Mrs. Bird is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, as was her husband. KRAMM, Christianna Catherine (3) (I4473)
 
368 CLARENCE W. STRINE DIES

Lifelong Resident of Milton Passes Away at Home of Daughter, Mrs. Salter

Clarence W. Strine, aged and lifelong resident of Milton, died this morning at 12:30 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Justin Salter, 117 Stanton Avenue, after an illness of three weeks.

Mr. Strine was 82. He was born June 25, 1857, in Milton. He was a son of the late Henry and Lydia Harris Strine.

The deceased was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church for more than fifty years. He belonged to the P.O.S. of A. for 54 years and the Knights of the Golden Eagle for more than half a century.

Before his retirement, he was employed by the Milton Manufacturing Company for more than fifty years.

Mr. Strine was better known in the neighborhood as "Grampy."

Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Salter; one step-daughter, Mrs. Elmer Keiser, of Turbot Avenue; one grandson, Justin Clarence Salter; two step-grandsons, Paul Keiser and Fred Keiser; two step great-grandchildren; also one brother, Henry T. Strine, of Shakespeare Avenue.

Services will be held at the Salter home Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock with the Rev. Robert L. Lippert, pastor of the Trinity Lutheran Church, in charge. Interment will be made in Harmony Cemetery.

Friends may call at the home tomorrow evening.

Milton Evening Standard, April 25, 1940, Pages 1 and 6 
STRINE, Clarence Wetzman (I2731)
 
369 Clement Calvin Straub was born at Milton, Pa., November 23, 1833. He attended the public schools and the Academy under Reverend Dieter, and was for many years in the mercantile business; he afterwards became associated with his brother, Ambrose White, who with two other brothers, Stephen Daniel and William Goodrich, were in the business of building portable mills, their place of business being in Philadelphia. He died at his home in Milton, February 19, 1896. STRAUB, Clement Calvin (I461)
 
370 Col. John McCleery, a prominent attorney of Milton, and a leading member of the Northumberland county bar, was a son of Dr. William McCleery, born in Milton April 18, 1837, was educated at the old Milton Academy and at the Tuscarora Academy, and graduated from Princeton in the class of 1858. Studying law with his uncle, ex-Governor Pollock, he was admitted to the bar just before the breaking out of the Civil war. He did not hesitate to subordinate his personal interests to the needs of his country. The beginning of June, 1861, found him at Harrisburg, as captain of Company II, 34th Pennsylvania Reserves. Twice he was severely wounded and June 30, 1862, fell into the hands of the enemy, and for a brief period was an inmate of Libby prison. He became lieutenant colonel of the 28th Pennsylvania Militia, but disability from his wounds made it necessary for him to retire from the army. Resuming the practice of law, he also interested himself in local business enterprises, being one of the founders of the Milton Car Works, in 1864, and later of the Milton Iron Works. He was president of the Milton Trust & Safe Deposit Company, which he had helped to establish. He was finally compelled by physical suffering to withdraw from all business and professional activities. As a soldier he measured up to a rare standard of efficiency. In private life he was an educated, cultured gentleman. For a number of years, he was a companion of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion. MCCLEERY, Col. John (I533)
 
371 Colonel Philip Frederic Antes was born July 2, 1730, in Frederictown, Montgomery County, now Philadelphia County, Pa. He was a delegate from Philadelphia to the Provincial Conference of June 18, 1775, held at Carpenters Hall, and also to the Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention of July 15, 1776. Brother Antes was a lieutenant-colonel in Colonel Pott's Battalion Philadelphia County Militia, 1776, and was a member of the Committee of Safety of Philadelphia County. He was commissioned Justice of the Peace by Pennsylvania Convention, 1776; he was Colonel of the Sixth Battalion Philadelphia Associators, May 6, 1777. The British government had prohibited all iron or brass foundries in the Provinces from working, but encouraged the manufacture of pig iron and copper ingots, for exportation. The manufacture of Bar iron, blooms and nails was forbidden, as were all sorts of castings for domestic or culinary purposes.

When the war broke out the American army was sadly in want of cannon; Frederic Antes, on account of his various talents and mechanical ability, was induced to undertake the task of providing cannon, and it was but a short time before he succeeded in casting an efficient four-pounder at Valley Furnace. This was the beginning of the manufacture of Artillery in the United States, and also came near being the end of Brother Colonel Antes, as Lord Howe, who was then Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, set a reward of three hundred pounds on his head. General Washington persuaded Colonel Antes to leave that part of the country, and disposing of his property, which consisted of a farm and mill near Valley Forge, he removed to Northumberland; at one time he was so closely pursued that he escaped by the back door of his house at the moment the British soldiers entered the front door.

He found the new country very interesting and he did much for the early settlers. Colonel Antes joined the Masonic Fraternity in one of the Military Lodges, and was one of the brethern who assisted in planting the seed in this rich and beautiful valley, as one of the Warrant members of Lodge No. 22, and when Brother Captain Stephen Chambers removed to Lancaster, Brother Antes was elected Worshipful Master unanimously, and reelected nine consecutive times, serving as such from June 24, 1780, to December 27, 1784. The meetings of the Lodges for several years were held in Brother Antes 's home which stood at the site of the new Pennsylvania station, Northumberland, and during his administration the Lodge seemed to thrive.

In 1780 he was appointed commissioner to receive forage and supplies at Sunbury and Wyoming, Pennsylvania, and November 18, 1780, he was appointed Justice of Northumberland County, and made president of the Courts. He became Treasurer of the county and served as such longer than any other incumbent of that position, was first appointed in February, 1782, serving until December, 1784, he was reappointed 1788, serving until his death in 1801. He was elected to the General Assembly of Pennsylvania in 1784, 1785 and 1786.

He married Barbara Tyson, May 8, 1755, and several years after her death married Catherine Schuler, on August 17, 1775, their only daughter Catherine married Simon Snyder, who was three times Governor of Pennsylvania. Col. Antes was one of the persons designated to sign the issue of $200,000 in paper money issued April 10, 1771. He also filled other offices, and aided the celebrated Dr. Priestley, greatly, in preparing instruments to perfect his great discovery of oxygen gas, and the great philosopher speaks warmly of his skill in his memoirs : " It was a singularly fortunate circumstance that I found at Northumberland several excellent workmen in metal, who could repair my instruments, make all the new articles I wanted in the course of my experimenting, as well as, if not in some respects better than, I could have had them done in Birmingham, and in the society of Mr. Frederick Antes, I derived great satisfaction. Mr. Antes was a man of mild and amiable manners, he possessed a very good knowledge of mechanics, the result of his own observation and reflection, and a fund of knowledge of many things which I frequently found useful to resort."

In 1801 he was employed by the government to explore the Susquehanna River from Northumberland to the Maryland line and devise a plan, if possible, by which the river could be made navigable. It was while engaged on this work, at Columbia, that he took a severe cold, from the effect of which he died September 20, 1801, and was buried in the grounds of the German Reformed Church, at that place. The historian of this work is named for him and is his great-great-grandson. Accounts at the time say that his funeral "was attended by almost all the respectable inhabitants of Lancaster." 
ANTES, Col. Philip Frederick (I5706)
 
372 Commissioned an officer in Company H, Pennsylvania 34th Infantry Regiment on 21 June, 1861.

Promoted to Full Sergeant. Promoted to Full 2nd Lieutenant on 21 Sep., 1862. Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant on 5 March, 1863. Promoted to Brevet Captain on 13 March, 1865.

He served in the Civil War with the 5th PA Reserves, Company H as company commander, and was wounded at the Wilderness. He had the rank of Captain. 
RHOADS, John McKinley (I3046)
 
373 COMPILED BY CHARLES DATESMAN WEIDENHAMER

Jacob Edward Weidenhamer was born on the farm near Milton, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. He is buried in Harmony Cemetery at Milton, PA.
His early education was somewhat neglected because he was required to work on his father's farm and stone quarry at the age of twelve years. He drove a regular team and made a full hand hauling building stone from his father's quarry, coupled with the farm work, which he continued to do until he was eighteen years of age, giving him only a few months of time each winter for his education.
At the age of eighteen Mr. Weidenhamer's father consented to his leaving the farm to earn for himself a livelihood which he did the hard way, by working mornings and evenings, including Saturday, for his board and lodging. He walked four miles each school day to attend public school where he was a very faithful student. He made rapid progress, making it possible for him to pass his exams at an early stage.
During the winter of 1887 and 1888 Mr. Weidenhamer taught five months winter term public school in Turbot Township, Northumberland County, PA at a Salary of $30.00 per month. In April of 1888 he entered the junior class at the Central State Normal School at Lock Haven, Clinton Co., PA, from which he graduated at the head of his class in June of 1890. He was immediately elected the principal of the Fourth Ward Public School of Lock Haven. He held this position until 1892 when he entered Dickinson College at Carlisle, PA. During his vacation the summer of 1893, he worked for Ginn and Company, publishers of school books. By working for them during the summer vacation periods he thus earned enough money to pay for his expenses the following year in college.
Mr. Weidenhamer graduated from Dickinson College in June of 1896 and the President of the college, George E. Reed, said of him, "Mr. Weidenhamer has, in my judgment, every qualification for a position to which he might aspire and will be sure to give satisfaction. I know of no man whom I could more heartily recommend."
After graduation from Dickinson College Mr. Weidenhamer gave his entire time and attention to the book business as a General Agent for Ginn and Company. He continued in their employ for many years.
He was the author of a well known text book, A Normal Mental Arithmetic, of which several million copies had been sold throughout the schools of the United States.
In 1913 he was appointed Postmaster of Milton, PA, by president Woodrow Wilson. He served in that office throughout President Wilson's term in office. In 1921 he resigned the office of Postmaster to give his entire attention to the publishing and distributing of school and college text books under the name of Weidenhamer and Company, with their main offices at Milton, PA and branches at New York, NY and Chicago, IL. This business was continued for several years with marked success.
He had been a useful citizen of Milton, where he served as President of Council as well as other positions of honor and trust. He was a member of the Milton Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons and of the Williamsport Consistory of Scottish Rite Masons.
Mr. Weidenhamer built and owned a large and commodious modern home on Broadway Street of Milton, PA where he made his home until his death, which occurred quite suddenly at his home from heart failure. His widow died at the home of her daughter in Philadelphia. Both are buried in Harmony Cemetery at Milton. 
WEIDENHAMER, Jacob Edward (I4742)
 
374 Conrad Rippel was born in Luzerne County, Pa., November 27, 1854. He received his early education in his native township and learned photography, which he has ever since followed. He removed to Muncy, Pa., and in 1878 to Milton, where he did business in partnership with his brother, John Rippel. They were burned out in the great Milton fire of May 14, 1880, and Conrad Rippel soon thereafter moved to Sunbury, where he still resides. He is the father of Guy LeRoy Rippel. RIPPEL, Conrad (I5123)
 
375 Cornelius Vincent and his son, Bcthuel Vincent, (father of Mr. Vincent of M'Cuneville,) Capt. John Lytle, William Miles, and others, were taken prisoners at the capitulation (at Fort Freeland). Capt. Samuel Dougherty and a brother of Mr. Miles were killed in the fight. Peter Vincent escaped in the flurry occasioned by Hawkins Boone coming up. Sam Brady, James Dougherty, and James Hammond had cautioned Boone against keeping the road, in his retreat; and they themselves, refusing to accompany him along the road, took the route through the woods, and escaped. HAMMOND, James Jr. (I7178)
 
376 Cornelius Vincent and his son, Bethuel Vincent, (father of Mr. Vincent of M'Cuneville,) Capt. John Lytle, William Miles, and others, were taken prisoners at the capitulation (at Fort Freeland). Capt. Samuel Dougherty and a brother of Mr. Miles were killed in the fight. Peter Vincent escaped in the flurry occasioned by Hawkins Boone coming up. Sam Brady, James Dougherty, and James Hammond had cautioned Boone against keeping the road, in his retreat; and they themselves, refusing to accompany him along the road, took the route through the woods, and escaped. VINCENT, Cornelius (I3786)
 
377 Cornelius Vincent, son of John, born in 1737, married Phebe Ward, who was born April 8, 1740. They had children as follows: Isaac, born June 20,1757; Daniel, Jan. 17, 1760; Bethuel, June 3, 1763; Sarah, July 25, 1765; Benjamin, Oct. 5, 1768; John, Feb. 4, 1772; Elizabeth, Jan. 4, 1774; Rebecca, Oct. 27, 1776; Mary, Feb. 10, 1779. VINCENT, Cornelius (I3786)
 
378 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel (I676)
 
379 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel (I676)
 
380 Courtesy of Jo Featherston HUFF, Jane Calwell (I677)
 
381 Courtesy of Jo Featherston HUFF, Jane Calwell (I677)
 
382 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Davis (I684)
 
383 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Davis (I684)
 
384 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Davis (I684)
 
385 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel McGrew (I685)
 
386 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel McGrew (I685)
 
387 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel McGrew (I685)
 
388 Courtesy of Jo Featherston CALDWELL, Daniel McGrew (I685)
 
389 Courtesy of Jo Featherston Family F3336
 
390 Courtesy of Pam Neill VINCENT, Sarah (I5987)
 
391 Courtesy of Pam Neill HARRISON, Moses (I10362)
 
392 Courtesy of Pam Neill HARRISON, Moses (I10362)
 
393 Courtesy of Pam Neill HARRISON, Moses (I10362)
 
394 Courtesy of Pam Neill Family F3337
 
395 Courtesy of Tammy Grier KRAUSER, Mary Hannah (I215)
 
396 Courtesy Tammy Grier GRIER, Daniel Luther (I9952)
 
397 Courtesy Tammy Grier GRIER, Daniel Luther (I9952)
 
398 Courtesy Tammy Grier LLOYD, Mary Mae (I9953)
 
399 Courtesy Tammy Grier LLOYD, Mary Mae (I9953)
 
400 Courtesy Tammy Grier GRIER, Benjamin Franklin (I10366)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27» Next»