Notes


Matches 301 to 350 of 1,347

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
301 ALEXANDER BILLMEYER, son of Jacob, is a prosperous lumberman and the owner of fourteen large farms, thirteen of which are situated in Montour county. On Nov. 4, 1902, he was elected Congressman from his district, the Sixteenth, and served two years. He married Angeline Blue, daughter of Daniel Blue, and they have had five children: Ella married Glenn Crawford; Alice married Thomas Vincent, of Danville, Pa.; Mary married Dr. H. A. Sweigert, of Lewistown, Pa.; Hiram married NeIlie Jamson, of Danville; Florence married Gilbert G. Kulp, of Shamokin, Pa. Mr. Billmeyer is one of the most prominent men in central Pennsylvania. He is a director of the Danville National Bank and a trustee of the Danville Asylum. BILLMEYER, Alexander (I921)
 
302 ALEXANDER JORDAN was born at Jaysburg May 19, 1798, and was a young child when the family removed to Milton, where he was reared. He had the educational advantages afforded by the local schools, but they were none too good and he went to work early. Moreover, though little more than a boy during the war of 1812-15, he accompanied the militia in the march across the State to Meadville, Crawford county, as deputy commissary, being absent several weeks.
 
After clerking for several years in a store at Milton Mr. Jordan entered upon what was practically his apprenticeship to the legal profession, becoming an employee of Hugh Bellas, prothonotary of Northumberland county, for whom he was deputy clerk. During his work in that capacity he did begin the study of law under Mr. Bellas, but he did not study regularly for some time, as his inclination was toward mechanical pursuits, and his leisure, moreover, was limited. He continued to serve as deputy prothonotary under Mr. Bellas's successors, George W. Brown and Andrew Albright, meanwhile carrying on his law studies with such success that he was admitted to the bar April 19, 1820, having passed an examination by Messrs. Hepburn, Hall and Bradford.
 
He commenced practice at once, opening an office at Sunbury, and rose rapidly in the profession. His diligence as a student, which made his preparation especially thorough, was never relaxed after he entered upon the practice of the law, and much of his success was of the kind that may be won always by industry and patient care. His ability was unquestioned, but he did not depend upon natural talent alone to gain his patronage and prestige or to win his cases. In addressing the court or the jury he used language concise and to the point, and arguments which showed the most painstaking preparation, and his occasional eloquence was the eloquence of conviction, not of flowery but shallow discourse.
 
Several years after his admission to the bar he received his first public honor, and from that time until the end of his days he was an influence in the judicial circles of his section. In 1826 he was commissioned prothonotary of the Supreme court for the Middle district, a connection which was of great value to him, bringing him, as it did, into contact with the leading jurists of the State. When the judiciary became elective in this State his high professional standing combined with his personal popularity made him a desirable candidate of his party, the Democratic, then dominant in the State,and in October, 1851, he was elected president judge of what was then the Eighth Judicial district, comprising Northumberland, Lycoming, Center and Clinton counties, by a large popular majority. He took the oath of office Nov. 28, 1851, and continued to serve, by reelection, for twenty years. In 1861 the counties of Northumberland, Montour and Lycoming constituted the district. Such continued honors as came to Judge Jordan were not the result of chance.
 
Many complicated questions affecting large personal and property interests, and involving principles not heretofore considered, arose during Judge Jordan's incumbency; in these important cases his decisions have stood the severest scrutiny and will be an enduring evidence of his ability as a jurist. He was endowed in a remarkable degree with the logical faculty, while his analytical powers - keen, incisive and accurate - grasped at once the essential points in an argument, dismembered of all irrelevant matter. To him the law was an intricate science, and its study was quite as much a source of intellectual gratification as a professional duty. His intercourse with members of the bar was characterized by uniform courtesy, and his rulings were so given as to leave no unpleasant feelings; to the younger members his manner and words were kind, considerate and encouraging.
 
A professor of the Christian religion, seeking to regulate his public and private conduct in strict conformity with the Christian faith, and to exemplify, by justice and diligence, the harmony of religious principles and professions with the diversified, important and dignified duties of a citizen, lawyer, and a judge, he was for many years an elder in the Presbyterian Church of Sunbury and superintendent of its Sunday school.
 
Judge Jordan was twice married, his first union, in 1820, being to Mary, daughter of Daniel Hurley. Alter her decease, he married Hannah Rittenhouse, formerly of Philadelphia, who survived him many years, continuing to make her home in Sunbury. Judge Jordan died Oct. 5, 1878, and is buried in the Sunbury cemetery. 
JORDAN, Alexander (I6468)
 
303 All four children were living with her. HAAG, Hester (I1491)
 
304 All of his children were born in Donegal. HEPBURN, Samuel (I7027)
 
305 All of his children were born on a farm settled by their father, and lying about 1 mile east of the old Paradise farm settled by John Montgomery Sr. MONTGOMERY, Robert (I5204)
 
306 Allen S. Hottenstein, lawyer and real estate dealer, formerly of Kutztown, who died at his home in Milton of paralysis, after an illness of less than two weeks, was in his 67th year, and is survived by his wife, three sisters, four brothers and seven children. The surviving children are: Mrs. Robert C. Knauff, of Milton; Henry Kauffman Hottenstein, of Philadelphia; Robert L. Hottenstein, of Reading, Mrs. Guy F. Hankee, of Philadelphia; Misses Lulu G., Anna B. and Ethel M. Hottenstein, at home. HOTTENSTINE, Allen Spohn (I1719)
 
307 Allen Schreyer - On Sunday evening at his residence, Thomas Street, Mr. Allen Schreyer, aged 73 years and 7 months.

Mr. Schreyer was born in Berks County and when seven years ago moved to Milton and for 84 years was intimately connected with the business and social interest of that town. From 1850 to 1871 he resided in Lock Haven and from the latter date to the time of his decease lived here. Few men were more respected. He was twice married, five children - Mrs. Henry Hoffman, Mrs. Daniel Garman and Mrs. Johnathan Harper of Bellefonte and Mrs. Ivens of Milton, are still living - were the result of the first marriage. Four sons, Messrs. Charles, Benjamin, Hayes and Harry, all of whom survive him and Harry, all of whom survive him and are doing weel, were given him after his marriage the second time. For some time prior to his death he had been subject to “weak spells,” we believe by his physican termed heart disease and at times was very low, yet generally enjoyed rather good health. The interment took place yesterday, a great many people attended. Rev J.F. D'Long, of the Reformed church officiated.

Centre Democrat
April 19, 1883
Centre County Library
Bellfonte, Pennsylvania 
SCHREYER, Allen C. (1) (I2919)
 
308 Alternate spelling: Kaup COUP, Levi (I4646)
 
309 Alternate spelling: Kaup COUP, Nelson (I4662)
 
310 Alternate spelling: Welshaus WELSHANS, Catharina (I2655)
 
311 Ambrose White Straub, son of Abraham and Nancy (Balliet) Straub, was born at Milton, Pa. His education was received in the common schools. He learned the machinist trade at Bloomsburg, Pa. During the Civil War he immediately left for the war, joining the U. S. Navy. He entered the fleet at Charleston, S. C, and served until the close of the war as an assistant engineer. After the war Brother Straub entered the government mint service June 3, 1869, which he has faithfully followed to the present time. He is also president of the A. W. Straub Company, of Philadelphia and Chicago, manufacturer of grain-grinding mills. His brother, W. A. straub, is vice-president. This company has grown to much importance and no one is better known in this class of business than Brother Straub.

He is a brother of Brother Stephen Daniel, Clement Calvin and William Alfred Straub. Daniel, the eldest brother, was a merchant, afterwards superintendent of the Trevorton Coal Company. He died and is buried at Hagerstown, Md. William Alfred, the youngest brother, was in the planing-mill business in Milton until the war broke out, when he enlisted in Capt. Isiah B. Davis's Company of 131st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He is now a merchant at Cumberland, Md. 
STRAUB, Ambrose White (I462)
 
312 Amos was captured in the engagement at Murfreesboro, Tn., July 13, 1862. RHOADS, Lt. Amos B. (I3045)
 
313 ANDREW BILLMEYER, born in 1756, died upon his farm in Liberty township Feb. 2, 1825, aged sixty-eight years, two months, ten days. His wife, Fanny Bruner, born in 1758, died Feb. 8, 1823, aged sixty-five years, five months, sixteen days, and they are interred in a private burial ground upon the homestead. Their children were: Andrew, Jr., George (born 1779, died 1853), Martin, Mrs. Mary Lesher, Mrs. Benjamin Knauss and Mrs. Kelly. BILLMEYER, Andrew (I888)
 
314 Andrew Supplee was born in Germantown in 1688, came to Upper Merion township in 1712, and lived either in Upper Merion or in Norristown township up to the time of his death in 1747. SUPPLEE, Andrew (I1435)
 
315 Andrew Taylor Still founded the first school of osteopathy based on his new approach to medicine. The school was called the American School of Osteopathy (now A.T. Still University) in Kirksville, Missouri in 1892. Dr. Huston graduated from this school. HUSTON, Dr. Grace O. (I6728)
 
316 Andris Souplis was a pioneer settler of Germantown. He was one of the many French Huguenots who, when driven out of France, sought refuge in Germany. The later years of his life were spent in the Kingsessing district, now West Philadelphia. There he died in 1726. SOUPLIS, Andris (I1324)
 
317 Another Comrade Gone

James D. Strine, son of the late William Strine, died at his residence on Lincoln Street, on Saturday afternoon last. The deceased was born in Milton and passed the greater part of his life here. In 1858 he went to Missouri and was there when the war broke out. He joined the 2nd Missouri Artillery and was discharged for disability after serving with distinction for two years. On his discharge he returned to Milton, where he remained until the fall of 1864, when, having partially recovered from the injury for which he was discharged, he re-enlisted in Co. D 7th Pa., Calvary, and joined his regiment, then serving in the Army of the Mississippi. During the memorable year which closed the war he served with his regiment, participating in the battles during the campaign in Kentucky and Tennessee, and doing his full share in Wilson's famous cavalry raid through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia; during which the command fought many battles and was four months without communication of any kind with the north, subsisting on the country through which it passed. At the close of the war, Mr. Strine returned home and resided in Milton until his death.

For years before his death, deceased was an active and zealous member of the M.E. (Methodist Episcopal) Church of Milton, and, while we mourn his loss, yet we feel assured that, having fought the good fight, he is now enjoying the fruits of the victory with other true soldiers of the cross who have gone before. Peace to his ashes.

The Miltonian, August 2, 1878, Page 3 
STRINE, James D. (I2686)
 
318 Anthony Armstrong was born on September 6, 1788, and early in life was engaged in teaming from Milton to Philadelphia, before the existence of railroads in that section or before the canal was built. He hauled produce and provisions down to market and returned with a stock of merchandise, the trip being three weeks long. He subsequently took to agricultural pursuits and continued at that the remainder of his life, dying in January, 1868. Politically he was a firm Democrat. He was appointed captain of the Northumberland Cavalry Troop, it being organized in 1824, by Gov. J. Andrew Shultze, the first in the county.

He married Elizabeth Guffey, who died in 1832. Several years afterward he married Martha Conley, who died in 1878. His union with his first wife resulted in the following offspring: Jane, the wife of Edwin V. Derickson. Matilda A. was the wife of Judge John F. Dentler, by whom she had ten children, namely: Mary E., the wife of P. Mellick; Harry C.; Wallace W.; Jane E., the wife of J. N. Sloan; John M.; James D.; Julia, the wife of William Withers; Jessie F., the wife of Alfred Bagney; Maggie M., who married Leidy Morelock; and Sally M. (Gifford). Margaret, the third daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth Armstrong, was the wife of John Sloan. Andrew married Angeline Watson, and their children were: James; Elizabeth, the wife of H. Allen; Anthony, who married Kate Grifey; David, who married Jane McWilliams; Mary, the wife of Frederick Gosh; and Emma. James F., the fifth child of Anthony and Elizabeth, married Margaret Guffey, and they were the parents of the following children: Hannah; Mary; Lizzie, the wife of Henry Nye; Henry; Samuel; Clara; Scott; and Hattie. George W. is the father of the gentlemen whose names head these lines. 
ARMSTRONG, Anthony (I5947)
 
319 Anthony Wilhelm, a native of Prussia, removed from Lancaster county to Milton in 1811 and engaged in butchering, which he followed some years. He also founded the Broadway House, and was proprietor of the same many years. His children were: Henry; Catharine, deceased; Mary, of Lock Haven; Eliza, deceased wife of Joseph Wolfinger Angstadt; Sarah, Mrs. James Robbins, of Williamsport; John, deceased, and Frederick, deceased. WILHELM, Anthony (I7630)
 
320 Arrived from Germany Dec 20 1686. CASSEL, Johannes Peter (I1137)
 
321 Arrived Jun 20 1727 aboard "Friendship". KRATZ, John Valentine (I1206)
 
322 as a Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. BECK, Heinrich (I1228)
 
323 At the home of her brother James. Courtesy Tammy Grier Family F3198
 
324 Based on the date of death of Dec 5 1806 and age 83-3-5, date of birth would be Aug 31 1723. SUPPLEE, Andrew (2) (I1434)
 
325 Benjamin Budd Cannon was born at Rhode Hall, New Jersey, December 18, 1866 and now resides at Milton Pa. He attended the Moravian Parochial School, Bethlehem Pa., where he received his education; he removed to Milton in 1887 and was employed in a clerical position by Murray, Dougal & Company, and when the car works were sold to American Car & Foundry Company he remained in their employ and is at present district manager of the Milton plant.

He enlisted in Company C, Twelfth N. G. P., rose to the rank of first lieutenant and during the Spanish American War was captain of the company; he is a member of Spanish American Veterans and several other societies. He is an officer of the Methodist church.

He is an active prohibitionist and was a Presidential Elector, 1904; county chairman of that party and a member of State Central Committee.

He was initiated in Milton Lodge No. 256, July 1, 1895; elected Junior Warden December, 1904, Senior Warden, December 1905, Worshipful Master, December 1906; he is a member Warrior Run Chapter No. 246, R. A. M. and of Williamsport Consistory of the Scottish Rite. 
CANNON, Benjamin Budd (I2320)
 
326 Bethuel Vincent had recently been married, when he was taken prisoner. His wife returned to her home in New Jersey. Four years after the capture she had heard nothing from her husband. One evening, when she was out with a sleighing party, and had stopped at a tavern, a roughly dressed man inquired if a Mrs. Vincent lived in that vicinity. She was pointed out to him. He stated that he had known her husband in Canada, had lately seen him, and that he was well. He rode with the party in the sleigh, and was disposed to take Mrs. Vincent on his lap ; but she indignantly declined the familiarity, until she discovered that the impertinent stranger was her husband. VINCENT, Bethuel (I2877)
 
327 Betty and Laurence Hill invited her to their parents' golden wedding anniversary in 1948, but she refused. It seems the Cadwallader family had never accepted her, and she was still resentful after all those years. CRAWFORD, Louisa A. (2) (I9573)
 
328 Betty's health was declining for the past year. On Dec 18th, 2000, she fell in her home, and was taken to Evangelical Hospital in Lewisburg. She was there for 3 days, then was moved to Riverwoods. During the ensuing seven weeks, she had a stroke which paralyzed the left side of her body, and made it very difficult for her to speak. This was followed by a heart attack and several smaller strokes. She finally succumbed at 3:45 PM on Saturday, February 10th, 2001. Joanne Bartoe, and Pat and Larry Hill were there to comfort her during her last hours. Services and a viewing were held from 10 AM to 1 PM on Friday, February 16th, 2001. HILL, Betty Louise (I1189)
 
329 Bickel & Bailey, founders and general machinists, Locust and Arch streets, are the present successors to Joseph Rhoads, by whom the first foundry in the valley of the West Branch was established in 1830. Nathan Mitchell was associated with Rhoads at the first or within a few years thereafter. It was subsequently operated by John and Jacob K. Trego. RHOADS, Major Joseph C. (I3069)
 
330 Billy Marshall, who worked for the Chamberlin family for fifty-six years, had been a slave in Virginia, and as a boy of twelve had taken care of General Robert E. Lee’s famous war horse, “Traveler.” MARSHALL, William (I9476)
 
331 Birthplace of Tench Francis Jr. (1731-1800)

Nearby is the site of "Fausley'', the birthplace of Tench Francis Jr., colonial businessman, revolutionary patriot, financier and father of the United States Navy supply corps. A successful merchant in the last decades before independence, Tench Francis Jr. contributed heavily from his personal fortune to support the revolutionary cause. He was subsequently appointed first cashier of the Bank of North America and later headed the commission which laid out the city of Pittsburgh. His appointment as purveyor of public supplies in February 1795 unified navy pursers under a single head and it is from this event that the U.S. Navy supply corps dates its birth.

Maryland Historical Society sign near Easton, Talbot Co., MD 
FRANCIS, Tench Jr. (I8306)
 
332 Book P 93 - Milton Cemetery HILL, Mary Catherine (I1223)
 
333 Both parents born in Russia Eva (I7615)
 
334 Both the 1900 and 1910 census records show William and family living in Colorado Springs, CO. By 1920, William is living in Denver while Dovie and children remained in Colorado Springs. I cannot find William in 1930, and the remainder of the family had moved to Pasadena, CA. ECKERT, William R. (I2596)
 
335 Buried at Deep Run Mennonite Church. WISMER, Jacob (I1361)
 
336 Buried in Harmony Cemetery. FRETZ, Leah (I1191)
 
337 Buried in the Keiser plot, Section D, Lot 111. HILL, Charles A. (I2435)
 
338 Burned in the fire was a two-story frame dwelling with brick stable owned by P. L. Hackenburg and occupied by Charles Malady as a livery stable. MALADY, Charles Patrick (I222)
 
339 Burned in the Great Fire of 1880 - Front (Arch) and Upper Market Streets
(north side of Upper Market, west of Front)

A two-story stone dwelling; loss $4000. Comly estate where Seth Comly was born. 
COMLY, Seth (I3819)
 
340 Burritt L. HAAG, city solicitor & district attorney, died Monday morning, Jan 22, 1945.
Mr. HAAG, a native of Milton, studied Law with the late G. F. ... before graduating from the Pennsylvania State College and the Philadelphia Law School. He was elected to the Clinton County Bar in 1931. He served as a district attorney for two consecutive terms and was elected city solicitor.

Mr. HAAG is survived by his wife, Colette Colquist Haag, and two children Burritt, Jr. and Judith. Local services will be held Wednesday 10 a.m., at the Harris Mortuary. Private burial will be made in Milton. 
HAAG, Burritt Leinbach (I5124)
 
341 by the Rev. Dr. L. Frederick Herman of the New Hanover Reformed Church, Montgomery Co., PA. (Rev. Herman presided there from 1800 until his death in 1848). HILL, Elijah (I1182)
 
342 Calculated from date of death. HAMMOND, Lt. Thomas Clark (1) (I6971)
 
343 Call number:

Excellent 
Source (S61)
 
344 Call number:

Good 
Source (S54)
 
345 Call number: Source (S48)
 
346 Call number: Source (S53)
 
347 Call number: Source (S56)
 
348 Carrie Ellen Everitt, was born in Milton. She was abandoned by her mother shortly after her birth, being left at the home of George Everitt. Later she was fostered by Algernon and Josephine Lightcap. She eventually married, and with her husband Jesse G. Lyman moved to Wayne County, PA. EVERITT, Carrie Ellen (I5052)
 
349 Catharine Smith was a very old settler on White Deer creek. She was a woman of great business tact and energy, though she was the child of sorrow and affliction. The story of her life is briefly told by herself in a petition to the Assembly under date of December 8, 1785. (See Linn's Annals of Buffalo Valley, page 240.) In that petition she states that she was left a widow with two children, with no means to support her family, except a location for 300 acres of land, including the mouth of White Deer creek. There was a good mill seat at this point, and as a grist and saw mill were much wanted, she was often solicited to erect them. Finally, in 1774, she borrowed money, and in June, 1775, completed the mills, which were of great advantage to the country; and the following summer she built a boring mill, where great numbers of gun barrels were bored for service in the Revolutionary army. She also built a hemp mill. During the Indian war one of her sons, her greatest help, went into the military service and never returned. When the Indians invaded the valley, July 8, 1779, they burned her mills and she was compelled to fly with her children. She returned in 1783 and was again solicited to rebuild the grist and saw mill, which, after much difficulty, she succeeded in doing. Before she had her business fairly under way, a suit in ejectment was brought against her by Claypole & Morris, who claimed a prior right to the land. She appealed to the Assembly for assistance, as she was now in such reduced circumstances that she was unable to support actions at law. The facts set forth in her memorial were certified to by William Bly, Charles Gillespie, Col. John Kelly, James Potter, the younger, and many other citizens of Northumberland county.

The Assembly, of course, could grant her no relief and the petition was dismissed. How long litigation was continued is unknown, but that Mrs. Smith was finally dispossessed is shown by the fact that Seth Iredell took possession of the premises as tenant for Claypole & Morris in 1801. 
IREDELL, Seth (I1951)
 
350 Catherine appears in the census for 1850, but not 1860. BECK, Catherine Susan (I1203)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27» Next»