Notes


Matches 201 to 250 of 1,303

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
201 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: THOMAS R. HULL, youngest son of William Hull, was born on the old homestead near Milton, February 19, 1815. He here grew to manhood, and received his early education at the old Milton Academy. About 1832 he entered Lafayette College, and subsequently read medicine under Doctors dames S. Dougal and William McCleery, and graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1838. He commenced practice at Washingtonville, Montour county, Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1861, when he removed to Milton and continued in the active duties of his profession up to his death May 25, 1886. On the 23rd of February, 1843, Doctor Hull was married to Elizabeth McCormick, who survives him. Seven children were born to this union: Margaret Mc.; Alem P.; Thomas R.; Harry B; Edward, deceased, and Elmer S. Doctor Hull was a skillful, careful, and conscientious physician, and enjoyed a large and lucrative practice. Politically he was a Republican, and was a member of the electoral college which elected Lincoln to the presidency in 1860. He was chief burgess of Milton two terms, and always took a deep interest in the public schools, and was a member of the board of education several years. He was an attendant of the Episcopal church and a man of unquestionable integrity arid upright character. HULL, Dr. Thomas Ryerson (I537)
 
202 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM A. SCHREYER, merchant, was born June 9, 1833, in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, son of Jesse and Maria (Heinen) Schreyer. He received his education in the common schools and at an academy at Lewisburg. In 1848 he was employed as a clerk in the mercantile establishment of William Heinen at Milton, where he remained until 1852, when he was transferred to his father's general store at Lewisburg. Upon reaching his majority he was taken into partnership by his father and continued to do a mercantile business in Lewisburg until 1861, at which time he became the company part of the general mercantile establishment of Heinen, Etzler, Roush & Company, located at Milton, and has ever since been connected with this house. He and W. C. Lawson laid out what is known as Lawson and Schreyer's addition to Milton. He is a director in the First National Bank of Milton, and is president of the Milton Iron Company. He was first married in 1861 to Mary E. Young, and has four living children: Maria, who married W. R. Kremer; Rebecca Y.; John Y., and Henry H. Mrs. Schreyer died in 1876 and he was subsequently married to Octavia L. Kelchner, and to this union two children have been born: Kate W. and Sarah L. Mr. Schreyer is a Republican and one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of the community in which he resides. He and family are adherents of the Presbyterian church of Milton. SCHREYER, William Augustus (I119)
 
203 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: WILLIAM HULL was a native of Sussex county, New Jersey, born July 17, 1771, and settled in Turbut township, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, in the last decade of the eighteenth century, where he married Hannah Marr, January 12, 1797. Her father, Joseph Marr, came from Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in 1793, and located immediately north of Milton. She was born March 23, 1777, and was about sixteen years old when her father settled in this county. To William and Hannah Hull were born fourteen children, only nine of whom reached maturity: Susan, who married Samuel McCarty; Elizabeth; Jesse; David: Alem; William P.; Thomas R.; Sarah A., who married John H. Brown, and Hannah M., who married Robert M. Slater. William Hull died upon the homestead farm in 1828; his widow afterward moved into Milton, where she died February 10, 1858, in the eighty-first year of her age. HULL, William (I616)
 
204 From Bell's History of Northumberland County 1891: Joshua Wright Comly, who was admitted to the bar of Northumberland County on the 17th of November, 1830, and has survived all the officers of the court and attorneys of this bar at that date, was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1810, son of Charles and Sarah (Wright) Comly, and a descendant of Henry Comly, an English Friend, who immigrated to Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1682. He was reared in the Quaker faith, attended the local schools and the College of New Jersey at Princeton, and in 1827 began the study of law at Milton under Samuel Hepburn. After his admission to the bar he located at Orwigsburg, Schuylkill county, but subsequently removed to Danville, where he has since resided, although his practice for some years embraced many of the most important cases in Northumberland County. In 1851 he was the Whig candidate for judge of the Supreme court. COMLY, Joshua Wright (I2963)
 
205 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: CHARLES NEWHARD was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, March 17,1823, son of John and Eva (Reber) Newhard, natives of that county. In 1837 they removed to Montour county and engaged in farming. The father served in the war of 1812, and was a prominent and consistent member of the German Reformed church. He died in 1858; his widow still survives him with her son, Charles. Their family consisted of eight children, three of whom are living: Charles; Isabella, Mrs. Peter Carr, of Montour county, and Cyrus, of Sunbury. The subject of this sketch was reared on the homestead farm, and received his education at the public schools. He remained with his parents until 1847, when he engaged in the lumber business on Muddy Run, two miles from Milton. He later built two saw mills in Milton and was engaged in manufacturing lumber twenty-one years. The mills were both destroyed by fire; the first mill burned in 1864, the second in 1871, and since then he has retired from active business. He was reared a Democrat, and voted with that party until 1800; since then he has been an active member of the Republican party. In 1881 he was elected county commissioner, and served three years in that office. In 1830 he married Anna M., daughter of David Eckert of Turbut township. Five children were born to this union, one of whom is living: William G., in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Sunbury. Mr. and Mrs. Newhard are members of the German Reformed church of Milton, and for twenty-eight consecutive years he has served as deacon and elder in that organization. NEWHARD, Charles (I2265)
 
206 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: George Correy was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, January 24, 1786, a son of Robert and Rachel Correy. He came to Milton when a young man, started one of the first wagon maker shops in the town, and was the manufacturer of the old Dearborn wagon a number of years, after which he was engaged in the mercantile business twenty-five years. He was a public spirited man, and was highly esteemed by all. He was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian church, and a member of the same over fifty years; in politics he was a Whig. He married Susan, daughter of John Evans, of Roaring Creek valley, Columbia county, and reared a family of seven children CORREY, George (I1648)
 
207 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: J. S. FOLLMER, physician and surgeon, was born in Turbut township, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, July 18, 1852, son of Daniel and Sarah (Lover) Follmer. He was educated at the public schools of Milton and at Limestone Academy. He read medicine with Dr. C. H. Dougal, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1876. Previous to this he had served an apprenticeship in the drug business, and after practicing medicine one year, he engaged in the drug business, which he has since followed. In 1879 he married Lizzie B., daughter of Peter Voris, of Chillisquaque township, by whom he has two children: Fred Voris and Malcom Murray. Doctor and Mrs. Follmer are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and politically he is a Democrat. FOLLMER, Dr. John Samuel (I147)
 
208 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: JOHN T. FISHER, merchant, was born in Union county, Pennsylvania, January 21, 1854. His father, Thomas T. Fisher, was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and was a blacksmith by trade. He married Annie Addis of the same county, and April 1, 1849, they removed to Union county, where they still reside. Their children are: Addis, of Union county; Emma J., deceased; Kate E., wife of Philip Davis, of Williamsport, Pennsylvania; Margaret A ., wife of Robert Hartzel, of Williamsport ; Hannah B.; Edna J., of Williamsport; Victor B., of Newberry; Bennette, and Dollie, of Williamsport.
The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Union county, and learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed until May 27, 1883, when he was appointed clerk in the railway mail service and ran from New York to Pittsburgh on the Pennsylvania railroad. He was promoted to chief clerk, November 1, 1888, having his office at Harrisburg, and held the same until April 4, 1889. He then came to Milton and became a member of the firm of Stahl & Fisher. He was married February 8, 1882, to Martha Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Riddell, of Milton, and they have three children: Charles Merrill; Frank Monteville; and Ralph Stewart. Mr. Fisher is connected with the F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. He is a stockholder in the Milton Record, and politically is a Democrat. 
FISHER, John T. (I2619)
 
209 From Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: Thomas T. Fisher was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and was a blacksmith by trade. He married Annie Addis of the same county, and April 1, 1849, they removed to Union county, where they still reside. Their children are: Addis, of Union county; Emma J., deceased; Kate E., wife of Philip Davis, of Williamsport, Pennsylvania; Margaret A ., wife of Robert Hartzel, of Williamsport ; Hannah B.; Edna J., of Williamsport; Victor B., of Newberry; Bennette, and Dollie, of Williamsport. FISHER, Thomas T. (I3847)
 
210 From Daughters Of The American Revolutlon: Philip Frederick Antes, (1730-1801), was a member of the Committee of Safety of Philadelphia County and Colonel of Associators. He cast the first cannon this side of the Atlantic and Lord Howe placed a reward on his head. This induced him to remove to Northumberland County where in 1780 he was Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. ANTES, Col. Philip Frederick (I5706)
 
211 From Evan Lindner: He enlisted as a naval hospital apprentice about 1912, and died at the Naval Hospital in Washington. He graduated from Milton High School, class of 1910, and had worked in Marsh's Shoe store. LINDNER, Francis Walter Jr. (I2395)
 
212 From Floyd's History Of Northumberland Co., 1911: JARED D. MAYES, of Milton, Pa., manufacturer and importer of monumental work, was born Feb. 5, 1876, at Lemont, Centre county, Pa., son of Jones B. and Mary Brown. Jones B. Mayes was also engaged in the above business at Lemont, Centre county, Pa., where he is now living retired.

Jared D. Mayes, one of six sons, learned the business under his father, and became a partner of his father under the name of J. B. Mayes & Son, at Lemont. This firm continued for a period of two years, and in March, 1904, our subject located at Watsontown, where he established a business in March, 1908, buying out the business establishment of W. H. Wetzel, formerly known as the H. N. Swartz Steam Marble Works.

In 1909 Mr. Mayes removed to Milton, where he built and equipped a fine plant located at No. 66 Bound avenue. This plant is fitted up with electric power and pneumatic appliances of various kinds, his equipment being adapted for the production of the best work known to the trade.

Mr. Mayes married Sophronia Segner, daughter of Michael and Christina (Gault) Segner. They have these children: Mary Agnes, Anna Louisa and Jared D., Jr. 
MAYES, Jared Dale (I999)
 
213 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: ADAM BATDORF, deceased, who was a dealer in paints, wall paper and window shades at Milton, Pa., with his place of business at No. 17 Broadway, was a resident of that town for nearly half a century, and in that time proved himself a loyal citizen and upright man.

Adam Batdorf received his education in the common schools and was first employed at farm work. He next spent one summer working in a brick yard, and then went to learn the painting and paper hanging trade, in Milton, and this engaged him for ten years. He became expert in his work, and his time was fully occupied. In 1873 he opened his store as a dealer in paints, wall paper and window shades on Arch street. Then after the great fire in 1880, he built on Elm street. His last location was on Broadway.

Mr. Batdorf was a soldier during the Civil war. He enlisted first in Company K, 3rd Pennsylvania militia, in 1862, and in 1863 he became a member of Company I, 37th regiment of Emergency men. In February, 1865, he enlisted in Company E, 74th Pa. Vol. Inf., for one year, and was sent to Virginia, where he was on guard duty most of the time. He was very active in G. A. R. circles, and in 1908 was elected treasurer of the Susquehanna District Association of the G. A. R., and re-elected in 1909. He was a past commander of Milton Post, No. 129, G. A. R., having been elected to that office five times. He was a past officer in the I. O. O. F., and at the time of his death was captain of the Canton of that body.

He married Sarah B. Kauffman, daughter of John W. Kauffman, of Milton. To this union were born: Maggie, who married W. E. Eckbert; Oliver J. O., manufacturer of the Good Samaritan ointment, for which a stock company has been formed and a large business being done; Clarence W., of Milton; Albert H., who died in Chicago; Annie W., wife of Frank W. Bailey, D. D. S., of Milton; Charles A., of Milton; Spencer, of Milton; and Harry A. who died, aged twenty-six years. Mr. Batdorf was a Republican in politics, and was unswerving in his allegiance to the party, an allegiance that began when he cast his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. He died May 9, 1911, aged seventy-two years. 
BATDORF, Adam (I509)
 
214 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: C. HULL KNAUER, shoe merchant, of Milton, Northumberland county, comes of an old family of Chester county, Pa., where he was born Nov. 19, 1859, at Knauertown, in Warwick township. He received his education in the schools of his native county. When a young man he went to Phoenixville, Pa., where he acquired his early knowledge of the shoe and leather business, and in 1885 he came to Milton.

Here he opened a shoe and leather store, and he has been engaged in the same line continuously to the present. In 1898, the business having outgrown the old accommodations, he purchased and remodeled the place he now occupies, a commodious and convenient building, known as the Knauer block, on Front street. He carries a large and up-to-date stock, and his store is a model of taste and neatness. His motto, "We never sleep," is typical of his enterprise and the business methods which have made him a leader in his line. His patronage is not confined to Milton and the immediate vicinity, but is drawn from all the surrounding towns, and has been increasing steadily ever since he commenced business. Mr. Knauer's jovial disposition has won him many friends among those with whom he has dealings, and his sincere desire to please his patrons and give honest values has been a factor in his success recognized by all who know him.

Although he is not a native of Milton Mr. Knauer is thoroughly identified with its various interests and devoted to its welfare, taking part in a number of movements designed to promote the prosperity of the borough. He is connected with the Methodist Church and has for some years been one of the active workers in Milton. He is a thirty-second-degree Mason, having been made a Mason in Phoenix Lodge, No. 75, at Phoenixville, May 3, 1884, and transferred to Milton Lodge, No. 256, in 1897; is a member of Williamsport Lodge of Perfection; of the Chapter, Rose Croix; and of Williamsport Consistory, A. A. S. R., thirty-second degree; he was made a Shriner at Irem Temple, Wilkes-Barre, May 13, 1903. Coming from a family of musicians, he is himself a born musician, has organized several quartettes, and is at present a member of the Temple choir, A. A. S. R., at Williamsport, singing first tenor.

Mr. and Mrs. C. null Knauer have two sons: (1) Henry graduated from the Milton high school at the age of eighteen, immediately took and passed the examinations for entrance to Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., where he graduated June 26, 1911, with the degree of B. S., cum laude, making the four years' course in three and one-half years; he has entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad Company and will be located at Albany, N. Y. (2) C. Hull, Jr., is at home with his parents, a student in the Milton high school. By reason of the service of their ancestors in the Revolutionary war Mrs. Knauer and her sons are eligible for membership in the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution. 
KNAUER, Charles Hull (I2262)
 
215 From Floyd's History Of Northumberland County 1911: FRANCIS W. LINDNER, son of Israel, was born Feb. 22, 1852, and attended the public schools of Schuylkill county, remaining with his father until he was twenty-one. He then farmed in Liberty township, Montour county, for six years, and in Chillisquaque township, Northumberland county, for three years. In 1882 he entered the business world as a dealer in farm implements at Pottsgrove. This business he carried on until 1890, when he was elected county commissioner of Northumberland county, and served two terms, or until 1896, during which time he lived at Sunbury. Returning at the end of that time to Pottsgrove, he there carried on the mercantile business he had established some years before, and this he continued until 1899, when he resumed the implement business, conducting establishments at Pottsgrove, Milton and Watsontown. He was very successful until his retirement, in 1907, his son Harvey L. succeeding him. That year he built his fine residence at Pottsgrove, equipped with modern conveniences that contribute much to the material comfort.
Mr. Lindner is a Democrat in politics, and in addition to his service as county commissioner, referred to above, he has been assessor of his township, and at the present time is serving as president of the East Chillisquaque township school board. In religious faith he is a Lutheran, while his wife is a Presbyterian. Fraternally Mr. Lindner is amember of the I. O. O. F. and the Artisans, and he was a charter member of Sunbury Lodge of Elks, No. 267.
Mr. Lindner has been twice, married. His first wife, Alice Van Horn, daughter of William Van Horn, died in 1901, and is buried in Oak Grove cemetery. To this marriage were born: Harvey L., mentioned below; Charles W., of Muncy, who married Cora Hunter, and has two children, Irwin and Desna; Alfred R., a salesman at Milton, who married Edith Trego and has a son, John; James C., a bookkeeper at Milton, who married Ida Compton and has a daughter, Isabell; Lee E., of Shamokin, a telegraph operator with the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, who married Lena Allender, and has one child, Alice; Francis W., a clerk at Milton, unmarried; and Margaret, who married AIbert C. Dieffenbach, a retired navy officer at Philadelphia. Mr. Lindner's second marriage was to Elizabeth Moore, daughter of John and Catherine (Voris) Moore. She taught school for fourteen terms, and is an artist of considerable talent. 
LINDNER, Francis Walter (I1084)
 
216 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: G. DAL FOX, proprietor of one of the most up-to-date jewelry stores in Northumberland county, is an enterprising citizen of Milton. He was born in Rush township, this county, Jan. 28, 1859, son of Joseph and Hannah (Zehnder) Fox.

The immigrant ancestor of this branch of the Fox family settled in Germantown, Pa., and from there entered the service of the Colonies during the struggle for independence. George Fox, grandfather of G. Dal, settled in Shamokin township, Northumberland county, and there followed farming. He and his wife are buried at Irish Creek in that township. Their children were: Jacob; Martin, who served in the Civil war; Joseph; Matilda; Susan; Rachel; and Polly.

Joseph Fox, son of George, was born in 1826, and died in 1904, and is buried at Milton. He was a miller by trade, and followed that occupation at Roaring Creek in Rush township. Afterward he bought the Vastine mill at Catawissa, located four miles east of Danville on the Shamokin road. Later he came to Milton, where he died. He married Hannah Zehnder, daughter of John Zehnder, who was born in Germany. Their children were:, Emma, who married W. H. Aten; Clara B., wife of Robert Foresman, of Scranton, Pa.; G. Dal; Sue E., who married Jacob Dreshem, of White Deer, Union county; Josephine, deceased, wife of E. P. Hilliard; and James S., business partner of G. Dal, and a resident of Milton.

G. Dal Fox attended the schools of Rush township and Lewisburg College. After leaving school he began his preparation for commercial work by working as a clerk, continuing at this for fourteen years, three of which were spent in a general store, and the rest of the time in a hardware store.

In 1902 he engaged in the jewelry business and has a most complete establishment, carrying a fine line of first-class goods. He also deals in fine hammer and hammerless guns, cutlery, fishing tackle and general sporting goods. His brother is his partner and these two young men have a fine patronage, one in fact that is drawn from far beyond the confines of the town of Milton.

Mr. Fox was elected tax receiver of Milton on the Democratic ticket, and served three terms, making nine years in all, and this in spite of the large Republican majority usually polled in the borough. Fraternally Mr. Fox is very prominent, and as well very popular. He is a member of Lodge No. 913, B. P. O. E., of Milton, and represented his lodge at Los Angeles, Cal., in the summer of 1909, his trip and visit to the coast covering a period of six weeks. He is also a member of Castle No. 256, Knights of the Golden Eagle. 
FOX, George Dallas (I2375)
 
217 From Floyd's History Of Northumberland County 1911: HARVEY L. LINDNER was born in Liberty township, Montour county, Sept. 24, 1876. He was educated in the Sunbury schools and graduated from the high school there in 1893. He began his preparation for the commercial world by clerking in Sunbury for a short time and then engaging as a traveling salesman, spending nine years as salesman for machinery and farm implements. He bought out his father's business at Milton in 1907, and since that time has been doing a large business, retaining the customers who had so long known his father, and winning many more for himself.
Mr. Lindner married Jennie M. Kent, daughter of Isaac J. Kent, of Milton, and they have one daughter, Alice. Socially Mr. Lindner is a member of Milton Lodge, ,No. 256, F. & A. M., Williamsport Consistory, thirty-second degree, and Irem Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of the B. P. O. E.; Artisans, and the I O. O. F. His religious connection is with the Reformed Church. 
LINDNER, Harvey Luther (I326)
 
218 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: Joshua Knauer, son of Jonathan and father of C. Hull Knauer, was born Feb. 20, 1820, at Knauertown, Chester county, and died March 31, 1886, aged sixty-six years, one month, eleven days. He succeeded his father, engaging in flour milling and the manufacture of lumber and shingles, purchasing the old mills which had been in the family for so many years and which he continued to operate for many years. He was a mechanical genius, as the numerous appliances with which his mills were equipped showed, the elevators, conveyors, smut machine and other improved machinery which he used being of his own invention. He invented and used in his mills the first high power apple grinder and hydraulic presses now in use all over the country. His flour mill was known as the best in that part of the country. There was ample water power, with several runs of burrs, in addition to which he had a plaster burr, in those days, before the advent of phosphate, grinding and selling plaster to the farmers.
Mr. Knauer was a natural-born musician and a man of considerable note in that line in his day, and was a member of the Knauertown Band, an organization composed entirely of members of the Knauer family. Here again his mechanical skill was highly useful. He made all the drums for the band, of which he was the expert tenor drummer. His brother Jonathan, also one of its members, was an expert fifer, and served as such during the Civil war, in which several members of the band enlisted. Before the Civil war, when "battalion days" were held, this band was much in demand.
Joshua Knauer married Rebecca (John) Davis, who was born Jan. 9, 1821, and died May 24, 1896. She was a descendant of Welsh Quaker stock. Griffith John, Sr., who was born in 1683 in Pembrokeshire, South Wales, landed at Philadelphia Feb. 11, 1709. He moved to the district in Chester county known as Welsh Barony and there on July 23, 1714, married Ann Williams, a daughter of Robert Williams, surnamed "the King of Goshen." Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Knauer became the parents of eleven children, of whom are mentioned: Griffith, who lives in Reading, Pa.; Dorcas, married to Benjamin P. Fout; Hannah: C. Hull; Dora; Theodosia, married to Dr. Elwood Schiner; and Ida. Six are deceased. 
KNAUER, Joshua (I3336)
 
219 From Floyd's History Of Northumberland County 1911: SYDNEY H. SOUTER belongs to that class of manufacturers who know their field of work thoroughly. A member of the third generation of the Souter family to successfully engage in the manufacture of silk, he began in a mill as bobbin boy and learned the business from the ground up. His familiarity with every step in the manufacturing process, gained by practical experience as well as through scientific study, and his masterly grasp of the commercial problems of this industry, give him a commanding position not only in local industrial circles but also among silk manufacturers throughout the country.

Mr. Souter is a native of England, born April 1, 1869, at Presbury, son of William Souter, Jr., and grandson of William Souter, both also natives of England.

He obtained his early education in the common schools of his native land, and after the family settled in America he became a student in Latimer's Business College, in Paterson, N.J. and later completed a course in the celebrated Bryant & Stratton Business College, Buffalo, N.Y. He began his active business career in a silk mill in Paterson, N.J., where he was employed in 1881-82, after which he attended school for one year at Northampton, Mass. He then secured a position in the silk mill in that city, where he was an employee for the next nine years, at the expiration of which period he returned to Paterson, where he continued to be identified with the same line of industry for one and one half years. He next passed a year in the silk mill at Pompton, N.J., and for the following three years was employed in the mill of which his father was a manager and vice president at Whitehall, N.Y.

During the following two years he was again employed at Paterson, and he then removed to Catasauqua, Pa., where he had charge of the establishing, equipping and placing in operation of a silk mill, ably completing his work, after which he came to York, Pa., arriving in that city Sept. 6, 1900. He there became associated with Henry Musser, until recently the president of the Monarch Silk Company, which they forthwith organized, equipping a modern mill and instituting active operations on Sept. 18th of the same year, the date the company received its charter from the state. Employment was afforded to a corps of about six hundred persons, and the annual business soon reached an aggregate of a million and a quarter dollars.

But the Monarch Silk Company was not the only vast concern in which Mr. Souter was actively and prominently interested. He and Mr. Musser successfully promoted the Littlestown Silk Company, which was organized in Littlestown, Adams Co., Pa., on July 2, 1903. It was capitalized at $50,000, and like the Monarch kept running to its full capacity, the demands for its products keeping the mill in operation until midnight.

In politics Mr. Souter is a consistent and unswerving advocate of the principles of the Republican party, and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian Church, in which he has been a zealous worker for many years. Within the time of his residence at Paterson, N. J., he was secretary of the board of trustees of the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, and he and his wife became members of the First Presbyterian Church of York, Pa. Fraternally Mr. Souter has attained degrees of high distinction in Freemasonry, in which he has passed the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. He became affiliated with: Zeredatha Lodge, No. 451, F. & A. M.; Howell Chapter, No. 199, R. A. M.; Gethsemane Commandery, No. 75, Knights Templar, all of York; while he is identified with the I. O. O. F., the B. P. O. E. and the Lafayette Club, of York; and the Woll Club of New York City. On June 25, 1890, Mr. Souter married Margaret Morton McLeod, daughter of Alexander McLeod, a representative business man of Paterson, N.J. To this union have been born two children, Sydney Herbert, Jr., and Martha Catherine. 
SOUTER, Sydney Herbert (I1019)
 
220 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: The name Batdorf was originally spelled Botdorf. Adam Batdorf's grandfather came to America from Germany and settled in Lebanon county, Pa. Benjamin Batdorf, father of Adam, was a farmer in Lebanon county, and from there came to Milton, later moving to Chillisquaque township, and there following farming and teaming. He died at Milton in 1887, and was buried in Harmony cemetery. He married Eva Stine, a native of Lebanon county, and their children were: John, Mary, Samuel, Amanda, Levi, Caroline, Adam, James, Catharine, Matilda and William. BATDORF, Benjamin (I511)
 
221 From Floyd's History Of Northumberland County 1911: William Souter, Jr., was born and reared in England, and his entire business career was one of prominent identification with the silk manufacturing industry, in which line he was considered an authority, having made an exhaustive study of the business. He traveled extensively, making a special study of the methods of silk making in both China and Japan. At the time of his death he was vice president and manager of an extensive silk manufacturing concern in Whitehall, N.Y. He met his death in October, 1900, when only fifty-three years of age, as the result of an accident, being killed by a trolley car in Newark, N.J. Mr. Souter married Martha Anna Chanelley, who died in 1880. She was born and reared in England, daughter of Robert Chanelley, a prominent contractor. Of the ten children born to William Souter, Jr., and his wife: Annie died in infancy; Sydney H. is mentioned below; Robert William is superintendent of the Littlestown silk mill in Littlestown, Pa.; Charles Harold is in the railroad service at Schenectady, N.Y.; Clyde Douglass graduated in 1907 from Dartmouth College; Ada is the wife of Edward Sargent, a contractor of Newark, N.J.; Jessie, Elizabeth and Margie are all trained nurses, graduates of the training school of the Newark (N.J.) General Hospital; and Edna is the youngest. The parents having emigrated to this country in 1865, the eldest daughter was born in America. But the family returned to England two years later, not becoming permanent residents of the United States until 1879. SOUTER, William Jr. (I3299)
 
222 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: HENRY J. HEINEN was born. May 24, 1843, in Milton, Pa., received his early education in the local schools, and later entered Bucknell College. From college he entered the service of the Union army during the Civil war, enlisting first in Company E, 131st Pennsylvania Regiment, and later, on July 1, 1863, in Company I, 37th Regiment. He was discharged Aug. 4, 1863, with the rank of sergeant. Upon his return from the army Mr. Heinen became a member of the firm of Heinen & Rissel, at Limestoneville, in a general store. After a few years there he came to Milton and entered into business with his father. In the year 1871 he became a member of the firm of Heinen, Schreyer & Co., with which he continued until his death, which occurred March 19, 1887. He is buried in the upper cemetery at Milton. Mr. Heinen was not only a successful merchant but also active in promoting various institutions and public utilities of Milton, being a director of the Milton National Bank, of the Water Company and of the Gas Company. He was a working member of the Presbyterian Church, served as trustee, as member of the building committee during the erection of the present fine church at Milton, and from 1880 until his death as superintendent of the primary department of the Sunday school. He was a Democrat in political opinion, but never active in party affairs. He held membership in Milton Lodge, No. 256, F. & A. M.

Mr. Heinen married Anna Rebecca Mann, and five children were born to them, all daughters, namely: Edna, married to John M. Correy; Anna M., married to George D. B. Hedenberg, of Milton; Grace J., married to Rev. Forrest L. Fraser, a Baptist minister, now of Albany, N. Y.; Florence G., married to Henry R. Clinger, a young business man of Milton; and Elizabeth Mann, at home. 
HEINEN, Henry Jacob (I519)
 
223 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: John Grier Mann, father of Mrs. Heinen, was born in 1805 in Doylestown township, Bucks county, followed farming, and died in 1883, at the age of seventy-nine years. He is buried at the Doylestown, Presbyterian Church. He married Lydia A. James, daughter of Levi James, of Bucks county, and to them were born five children: Isabella James married J. K. Lovett; Francis T. married Sarah Rich, and died in 1905; Robert M. was wounded at the battle of Antietam and died of his injuries at the Philadelphia hospital, when twenty years old; Anna R. is the widow of Henry J. Heinen; Elizabeth Polk; unmarried, died at Doylestown Dec. 14, 1909. MANN, John Grier (I4488)
 
224 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: WILLIAM A. HEINEN, brother of Henry J., was born Oct. 16, 1850, at Milton, and there received his early education in the public schools. Later he took a course at Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pa. In his youth Mr. Heinen followed farming, but in 1879, upon the retirement of his father, he became a member of the mercantile firm of Heinen, Schreyer & Co., with which he continued until 1880, after which he was engaged for some years in superintending his farm. In June, 1891, he became vice president and paymaster of the Milton Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of nuts and washers, and he is still serving in that capacity. He is associated with a number of other local enterprises of note, having served as director of the Milton Gas Company, the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company (of which became vice president), the Milton Iron Company, the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association, the Milton Water Company and the Milton Bridge Company, and he is secretary of the Milton Creamery Company. His substantial position makes his connection with any venture an assurance of its legitimate business purpose and high character.

On Oct. 8, 1889, Mr. Heinen married Mary C. Shimer, daughter of Samuel J. and Catherine A. (Stout) Shimer, of Milton. They have five children, William S., Henry S., George S., Levis S., and Catherine S., all of whom are still at home. Mr. Heinen and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican in political opinion. 
HEINEN, William Augustus (I10)
 
225 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911: William Heinen, son of Dr. Henry, born May 3, 1817, received the greater part of his education in the Milton Academy, under Rev. David Kirkpatrick. He started his eventful business life as a clerk, and served an extended apprenticeship, though he commenced business for himself at a comparatively early age, in 1835 entering into partnership with Jesse Schreyer, under the firm name of Schreyer & Heinen. This association lasted for some time, and his next was with his brother Henry W., under the firm name of Heinen & Bro. After that he entered into partnership with Messrs. Roush & Etzler, under the name of Heinen, Etzler & Roush. Following this connection he was with his son Henry and Wm. G. Anspach, as Heinen, Son & Co., later selling out his interest in their business, in 1879. After that the business was continued under the name of Heinen, Schreyer & Co., by Mr. Heinen's sons, W. A. Schreyer and Simon P. Brown.

Coming to Milton when the town was still a village, there was little connected with its growth in which William Heinen did not have an active part. He was one of the organizers of the Milton National Bank and one of its directors for many years.

On April 1, 1863, Samuel Hepburn and wife conveyed to William C. Lawson, William Heinen and Edward W. Chapin his farm containing eighty-three acres and 112 perches, situated just east of what was then the borough of Milton and south of Broadway. This land was first opened for building purposes by the laying out of what is now known as Centre street. Mr. Chapin took part of the land on the south side of Centre street for his share in the properly, and conveyed his interest in the balance to Messrs. Heinen and Lawson. Mr. Chapin subsequently laid his part of the land out in town lots. Messrs. Lewis H. Funk, Reuben Etzler and William Mervine purchased a part of the land north of Centre street, just east of the Pennsylvania Railroad right of way, which they laid out in town lots. In 1868 Mr. Heinen sold his interest in so much of the land as was then undeveloped to W. A. Schreyer, who, together with William C. Lawson, laid out the balance of the land in town lots extending as far eastward as Hottenstein's addition to the borough of Milton. In 1870 Mr. Heinen purchased a large farm adjoining the town, which he laid out in lots, forming that part of Milton known as Heinen's addition.

Mr. Heinen married Anna M. Funk, daughter of Henry Funk, born Feb. 20, 1798, died Jan. 25, 1852, and his wife Catherine (Stover), born May 12, 1799, died Sept. 29, 1871. Mr. and Mrs. Funk had the following children: Anna M., Mrs. William Heinen; Benjamin F., who married Sallie Lloyd; Clementine, Mrs. Samuel Hoffa; George Washington, who married Rebecca Gauby; Catherine, Mrs. Michael Rissel; and Lewis H.

To Mr. and Mrs. Heinen were born eight children: Henry J. is mentioned later; Melancthon, born Feb. 15, 1846, died Nov. 21, 1868; Catherine E., born March 26, 1848, died 1905, married D. M. Krauser and had a son William Heinen Krauser; William A. is mentioned later; Sallie A., born May 12, 1854, died May 4, 1855; Anna M., born :eb. 22, 1856, died Sept. 19, 1858; Edward E., born Sept. 8, 1862, died March 11, 1864; T. Curtis married Carrie V. Belford, daughter of D. W. A. Belford, and has one daughter, Katherine E. T. Curtis Heinen spent his early life engaged in the store business, continuing thus until 1890, when he became secretary of the Milton Trust & Safe Deposit Company, remaining in that institution until he entered the Milton National Bank, in 1906, as teller. He is a member of Milton Lodge, No. 256, F. & A. M., of which he is a past master, Baldwin Commandery, K. T., of Williamsport, Pa., Warrior Run Chapter, R. A. M., at Watsontown, and Williamsport Consistory, A. A. S. R.

William Heinen died July 19, 1879, and his wife survived until 1885. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. 
HEINEN, William (I517)
 
226 From Floyd's History of Northumberland County, 1911: FREDERIC ANTES GODCHARLES, president and general manager of the F. A. Godcharles Company, of Milton, manufacturers of iron and steel nails, hinges, washers and puddled iron, is at the head of an industry which has done much for the borough's prosperity for over a third of a century. This company is the successor of the C. A. Godcharles Company, which was established in 1875 by the late Charles A. Godcharles, father of Frederic A. Godcharles. Employment is given at present to about four hundred, a fact which conveys some idea of the importance of the Godcharles plant in its relation to the local industrial situation. Mr. Godcharles is one of the young business men foremost in his section of Pennsylvania, and he has not only extensive business interests but also numerous social connections. Moreover, he has been conscientious in the discharge of his civic responsibilities, having served faithfully in public office, for which his ability and experience make him peculiarly competent.

Mr. Godcharles was born June 3, 1872, oldest son of Charles A. and Elizabeth (Burkenbine) Godcharles. His father was one of the constituent members of the firm of C. A. Godcharles & Co., organized in 1875. His mother was the daughter of the late Samuel A. Burkenbine, one of the most prominent newspaper men of his day; she was also the granddaughter of Alexander Hughes, another member of the newspaper profession and at one time State printer, and the great-granddaughter of Col. Philip Frederic Antes, a colonel in the Revolution, a most prominent early citizen, one of the first president judges and for many years treasurer of Northumberland county. The subject of this sketch was named for this illustrious ancestor.

Frederic A. Godcharles received his preparatory education in Milton, graduating from the high school in May, 1888, after which he took a course in electrical engineering at Lafayette College, Easton, Pa., graduating in 1893. Since that time be has been associated in business as above stated. His principal interest is in the F. A. Godcharles Company, of which he is the title member, but he has also formed other important connections, local and otherwise. He is a director of the Garrett County Coal and Mining Company. He is also interested in other corporations, either because of the advantages they offer, the locality or because they appear attractive propositions for the investment of capital. In short, he is a typical modern progressive business man. In 1910 he bought The Miltonian, the only weekly newspaper of Milton, the first newspaper of the place and the oldest in the county, it having been established by Henry Frick in 1816 and published without interruption since. This paper has grown wonderfully in the past year and ranks with the largest and best in this section of the State.

Mr. Godcharles served throughout the Spanish American war with the 12th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and he has been a captain and inspector of rifle practice in the 12th Regiment, Pennsylvania National Guard. He was a member of the lower house of the Pennsylvania State Legislature, session of 1901, and in Nov., 1904, was elected to the State Senate; he served on the Inaugural committee, Appropriations, Public Roads and Highways, Military, and as chairman of the committee on Game and Fish.

On June 15, 1904, Mr. Godcharles was married, in Washington, D. C., to Mary Walls Barber, of St. Mary's county, Maryland. 
GODCHARLES, Frederic Antes (I88)
 
227 From Freemasonry in Northumberland & Snyder counties, Pennsylvania, Volume 1, page 216: Dr.James S. Dougal was the eldest son of Dr. James Dougal, who was the second doctor to locate in Milton in 1795, the first being Dr. James Faulkner, who settled here in 1794, but soon thereafter removed to Erie. Dr. James Dougal, the first, was born in Londonderry, Ireland, on the 4th of June, 1769. His father, who was a farmer in comfortable circumstances, gave his son a liberal education and when quite a young man sent him to America to look after some land he had purchased in Cumberland County, Pa.

The ship in which he sailed, "The Royal Stewart," was wrecked off theJersey coast, and most of the passengers were lost. Dr. Dougal, who was an expert swimmer, reached land safely, and was able to render efficient aid to a young friend who was almost exhausted when he went to his rescue.

The wreckers stripped them of all they had that was worth taking and left them destitute and forlorn strangers in a strange land. In this situation they were discovered by a gentleman living somewhere in the vicinity, who after conversing with the young Irishman, and learning his history, sent for a priest to examine him in Latin and Greek, and finding him fitted for the position employed him as tutor to his son.

After remaining some time in America he returned to Ireland, studied medicine and graduated from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, ln 1791 or 1792. On the 14th of October, 1793, he was married to Miss Jane Starrett and settled in Coxstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, and practiced medicine there for several years. While living there he joined "The United Irishmen," under the leadership of Robert Emmet in their endeavor to free their land from British rule. After several encounters with the English troops the Irish were finally defeated at the battle of Vinegar Hill in 1798.

Dr.Dougal, after this defeat, escaped to the sea coast and a second time sailed for America. He landed at Philadelphia, and from there he went to Northumberland, where he made the acquaintance of Dr. Joseph Priestly and his son. Acting on their advice he located at Milton, Pa. Here he bought a home and commenced the practice of medicine.

Dr.James Dougal, the first, died July 18, 1818, in the 50th year of his age. 
DOUGAL, Dr. James (I268)
 
228 From Freemasonry in Northumberland & Snyder counties, Pennsylvania, Volume 1, page 217: Dr.James S. Dougal, the second, was born in Coxstown, Ireland, on the 7th of October, 1794, and his sister Margaret on the 14th of June, 1796. James' early education was obtained at such schools as the little town of Milton then afforded. In August, 1809, he became a pupil of the Rev. Thomas Hood, a Presbyterian clergyman, who taught a select Latin school at his home in Buffalo Valley. While attending this school he boarded in the family of George Clingan and frequently recited his lessons to Mrs. Clingan. In after years he used to often laughingly remark that he learned as much Latin from Mrs. Clingan as he did from Mr. Hood. After leaving school he studied medicine with his father and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1817.

Surgery was his favorite study and he displayed so much skill in the pursuit of it that he was offered the position of Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy in the University from which he just graduated. At his father's request he declined this flattering offer, settled in Milton and began the practice of medicine with his father.

Dr. Dougal became a successful and distinguished physician and surgeon and his fame spread far and wide. His practice was very extensive and he had the full confidence and respect of the people. Many young men studied medicine under him and they all loved to refer to the fact that they had received instruction from one so eminent in his profession.
This great and good man died at his home in Milton, May 23, 1878, in the 84th year of his age.

The house in which they lived for some years was a little log building standing on the same lot on which, in 1803, he built the large stone house which is truly one of the genuine and historical landmarks of Milton and which was occupied by his son, and after his death by his grandson, Dr. Charles H. Dougal, until his death, April 26, 1902, and for a time by his great-grandson, Dr. James Starret Dougal, who is at present one of the best known and most successful practitioners in this valley, making the fourth generation of this celebrated and distinguished family of surgeons to practice in Milton. 
DOUGAL, Dr. James Starrett (I376)
 
229 From History of Montgomery Co., NY: Henry A. Fonda, of Milton, Pa., president of the First National Bank of that place and an enterprising and public spirited citizen, was born in the town of Fonda, Montgomery County, NY, which town derived its name from one of his ancestors. After graduating from the district schools of his native place, he entered the Homer, N. Y., Academy, where he devoted two years to the study of the higher branches of English. The science of engineering possessed an attraction for him and at the age of seventeen he adopted it as his life work, entering upon his labors as an assistant in an engineering corps on the Utica and Syracuse railroad. From this road he passed in a short time to the Erie, on which he held at first the position of rod-man, but later on that of superintendent of construction on the section between Corning and Hornellsville. In different capacities, some of them involving great responsibilities, he remained with the Erie road about six years.

Upon leaving it he engaged with the Canandaigua and Niagara Falls road, as superintendent of construction and repairs. After filling this post two years he removed to Pennsylvania and accepted the position of superintendent of construction on the Catawissa railroad, then thirty-five miles in extent. After being promoted to the position of assistant superintendent, and being advanced from that office to the responsible post of general superintendent of the road, he closed his connection with it (then of five years' duration), to accept the office of general superintendent of the Elmira and Williamsport railroad, to the duties of which he devoted the ensuing three years. In 1864 he became general superintendent of the Lackawanna and Bloomsburg railroad, then under control of the Delaware and Western Railroad Company.

After serving this corporation five years he took a contract to build a railroad from Carbondale to Susquehanna. This contract being completed he took service with the Delaware and Hudson railroad, as general superintendent, and was placed in charge of all the lines of this large corporation from Carbondale, Pa., to Whitehall and Rutland, Vt. At the expiration of four years' steady service under this company, he retired from active duty and took up his residence in Philadelphia, where he spent several years. In 1887 he removed to Milton, where he established a permanent residence. Having definitely relinquished engineering pursuits, he turned his attention to farming and stock-raising. He is now the owner of a large stock farm and residence on Cayuga lake, near Aurora, and also of five extensive stock farms in the vicinity of Milton. His barn on the largest farm on Cayuga Lake is the finest in the state.

Mr. Fonda has paid particular attention to the breeding of Hambletonian stock and has raised many notable specimens of this strain. His success in this later departure in farming and stock-raising is extremely gratifying to him. In them he finds agreeable and interesting relaxation, which is both welcome and beneficial after so many years of active and absorbing railroad life. Since 1885 Mr. Fonda has been president of the First National Bank of Milton, and he divides his time between his duties as a financier and the agreeable occupation of a "gentleman farmer." His habits are those of a thorough business man, everything confided to his charge being attended to thoroughly and with the strictest regard for the interest of others, as well as respect for their rights.

At a time when real estate in Chicago was low in value and on the rise, he invested largely in property in that city, and has reaped a rich reward as a result of his enterprise and sagacity in this field. After the disastrous conflagration which in 1880 destroyed so large an amount of property in Milton, Mr. Fonda promptly loaned quite an amount of money to rebuild the place, and through this wise and timely action on his part it has rapidly recovered from the damaging blow it sustained, and is making rapid strides to a more prosperous and advanced condition. His public spirited action in this and other matters has had a weighty influence upon the business interests of Milton, and has earned for him a reward in the general prosperity which gratifies him far more than any pecuniary advantage he may eventually reap in consequence. Mr. Fonda started in life without means and has reached his present financial independence and leading position as a citizen, solely through his own unaided enterprise and ability. So far from this fact operating to close his heart to the claims of his less fortunate fellowmen, it seems to exert just the contrary effect, for it is well known that many who were struggling have been helped by his generosity, extended willingly and from a sense of duty as a steward of wealth,rather than through any desire for notoriety or subsequent reward. Men gifted with such admirable qualities raise the standard of life and living, both for themselves and all who dwell within reach of their influence, and may justly be styled the pillars of the community - the strong supports of the higher ideas of duty and citizenship prevailing in a free and enlightened country. Every dollar of Mr. Fonda's wealth has been amassed by straightforward business operations. Disdaining sharp practices and resolutely declining them, he nevertheless acquired means far in excess of many who descended to petty if not more culpable methods.

He lives in a manner commensurate with his ample fortune and social position, and not the least of his satisfaction is the consciousness that his success with all that it brings, is the outcome of an upright business life. His farms adjoining the town of Milton, containing in all 700 acres, are models, and upon them is to be found some of the finest stock in the state. In addition to his connection with the First National Bank, he is a director in several other banks, and also of the Elmira and Williamsport railroad company. He has never accepted any political office nor had any aspirations in that direction, but held a commission as colonel on Governor Pollock's staff during his term as governor of the state of Pennsylvania. Modest and retiring in disposition, he avoids rather than courts notoriety, although never withholding his name or influence from any enterprise having for its object the benefit of mankind. His charities are bestowed quietly, and to many he has been a true friend in times of panic and distress.

Mr. Fonda married, on January 1, 1862, Miss Caroline Louisa Brown, daughter of Isaac Brown, a prominent merchant of Milton. His only child, a son, Lawrence B. Fonda, who was educated at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, has recently joined the Sons of the Revolution through that patriotic record which has been so faithfully won by his ancestors. Mr. Fonda's grandfather (Henry Fonda) served as a captain in the War of 1812, and his great-grandfather (Adam Fonda) was lieutenant-colonel under General Herkimer at the Oriskany battle. Adam Fonda was a son of Douw Fonda, who was slain by the Tories during Sir John Johnson's raid in 1780. What a debt our country owes to this ancient patriotism! 
FONDA, Henry Adam (I300)
 
230 From History of Northumberland Co. PA 1876: In 1772 Marcus Hulings had built a log house, and opened it as a tavern, near the bend of Limestone Run, and Marcus Hulings, Jr., a son, or perhaps a nephew of the former, had established a blacksmith shop further up the river, probably about the present intersection of Broadway and Front streets. HULINGS, Marcus (I3338)
 
231 From History of Northumberland Co. PA 1876: The business of inn-keeping was evidently quite prosperous there, or else the Hulings were especially inclined toward that calling - or perhaps both - for in the next year, on the fourth Tuesday in August, the Court of General Sessions granted Marcus Hulings, Jr. - the blacksmith - "a license to keep a public house, he giving bond, etc., agreeable to the laws of the Province," which latter condition shows that inn-keepers, even in those times, were compelled to conduct their establishments in a lawful and orderly manner.

In another section is the following description: by the ruins of Hulings' blacksmith-shop, and where the engine-house now is.

The engine-house in 1876 was at the north end of what is now Lincoln Park, facing down Broadway. 
HULINGS, Marcus (2) (I3339)
 
232 From Industrial and Commercial Resources of Pennsylvania, Historical Publishing Company, 1887, page 96: William H. Reber, Union Cropped Sole-leather Manufacturer - One of the most enterprising and public-spirited citizens in Milton is Mr. William H. Reber, the leather manufacturer. Born in Heidelberg Township, Berks County, he early in life determined to be a tanner, and after having learned the business in its every detail and understood the manufacture of leather in accordance with the latest-received and most scientific principles, he started out on his own account with a small tannery whose value was not over five thousand dollars. He gradually built up a very large and profitable business, and from time to time increased the resources of his establishment. On October 5, 1867, a disastrous conflagration destroyed his property and caused a loss of fifteen thousand dollars. With characteristic energy, however, he commenced rebuilding, and in the following December his new tannery was completed. This large and well-equipped structure was burned to the ground in the great fire of 1880 which swept away every business house in Milton. Nothing daunted, another and still larger tannery was erected costing thirty-five thousand dollars, and this is the one which is now in such successful operation. The main building is 78x100 feet in superficial dimensions, and other structures, including two beam-houses, 85x90 and 40x50 feet in area respectively; beech-house, 40x50 feet; bark-mills, bark-sheds, 40x140, 29x118, 28x115, and 2ix110 feet respectively—are located at convenient distances on the premises. The stock of bark, hides, etc., that is always kept on hand is something enormous, and as many as forty thousand sides are converted into leather every year. From five to six thousand tons of oak and hemlock bark are consumed annually, and forty experienced operatives are here employed at all seasons of the year. The leather manufactured here is as fine as any made in the United States and is known in the trade as Union Cropped Sole-leather. It commands a ready sale wherever offered, and the well-known Philadelphia firm of Kirkpatrick, Kinsey & Co. purchase immense quantities of it annually. It is also in great demand in Boston, Lynn, and other shoe-manufacturing centres, its durability, strength, and elasticity being conceded by all leather merchants to be unsurpassed and but rarely equalled. During his difficulties occasioned by the two fires which temporarily injured his business, Mr. William Kinsey, a member of the above-mentioned firm, and who has been a purchaser of this leather for upwards of thirty years, thinking that this enterprising tanner might require financial assistance to enable him to embark in business again, generously volunteered the loan of twenty-five thousand dollars; but the liberal offer was not accepted, the money not being required. Mr. Reber is highly honored and esteemed by all who know him, and he has done much in promoting the growth and prosperity of Milton. He is an energetic and capable manufacturer, a strictly honorable and upright business man, and a public-spirited citizen. REBER, William H. (I3393)
 
233 From Kathi Wertman: Charlotte studied art, first at the art Students League and for two years at Cooper Union. She met her husband at a dress ball. He was born in Italy, but had lived in the United States since he was 8 years old. He was also an artist.

Charlotte is best known for her Paradise Lost illustrations which she did in the 1930's. She was involved with the Guggenheim Foundation and had been given two grants by them to study lithography in France and a second for book illustration.
 
KENNEDY, Charlotte (I4801)
 
234 From Kathi Wertman: Gilbert was an attorney who served as a long time legal advisor to the US Embassy in London. KENNEDY, Gilbert F. (I4800)
 
235 From Kathi Wertman: Helen died from a cancer operation in NY. MCCORMICK, Helen Clifford (I1876)
 
236 From Kathi Wertman: Helen was a well known artist and illustrator in NY. MCCORMICK, Helen Clifford (I1876)
 
237 From Ruth Chapin Hill: He lived at the SW corner of N Front Street and 5th Street. He was killed in action in WWII in 1945. He and Dick Ammerman were classmates. They both played sports, and when one was president of the class, the other was vice-president. Then they would change places. They were also in the school plays. Durrell was killed within two weeks of Dick, who was in the Navy and lost at sea in the Pacific. Milton mourned their passing. FRYMIRE, Durrell Sober (I2972)
 
238 GEORGE S. GOOD,
CONTRACTOR, DIES

Man Who Built El Paso Northeastern Railroad and Was Well Known Here, Dies in Pennsylvania.

George S. Good, builder of the El Paso & Northeastern railway, now the eastern division of the E. P. & S. W. from El Paso to Tucumcari, N. M., is dead at Lock Haven, Pa., according to word received here Tuesday by Charles Beisswenger. Good was 67 years old. Many El Pasoans knew him, as he resided here during the time that the Northeastern was being built. The road at that time was generally known as the "White Oaks" railway. Good came to El Paso in 1900 and was in this section until 1902. He owned property in Mexico.

He was born near Milton, Pa., in 1844 and began his education in Dickinson seminary. When the civil war broke out he was given a lieutenancy in Co. "I," Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania infantry. He was wounded at Chancellorville and twice confined in Libby prison. He was among the famous group of 109 men who tunneled their way to freedom from this prison. The building of the White Oaks railway was only one of many railroad construction operations carried on by Mr. Good during his lifetime. A widow and six children survive him.

El Paso Herald (El Paso, Tex.) Wednesday, November 12, 1913, Sport and Society News Section, Page 11. 
GOOD, George Smith (I9504)
 
239 HAAG, EDWARD NEWTON, author of the declaration of fraternalism now in Independence Hall. Attorney and publisher. Born on farm near Milton, Pa., April 21, 1861. Of Holland lineage on father's side and English on mother's. Parents, John and Margaret L. Haag. Educated common schools, Milton Academy, Prof. Schneider's Academy, Milton, preparatory School and Penna. College at Gettysburg, Pa. Received L.L.B. from law dept. of Univ. of Penna. in 1884. Admitted to Philadelphia bar from office of Hon. Wayne MacVeagh and George Tucker Bispham. Married Susan C. Parris, Dover, Del., 1887. Children, Edward Newton Haag. Jr., Boston, George Parris Haag, Rebecca M. Haag. Career includes helping to compile Federal Digest. Went to Kansas in 1884. Assistant district attorney Harper County. Founded Norwich, Kingman County, in 1885. Was treas. and gen. mgr., Norwich Town Co. and first mayor of Norwich. Declined nomination for legislature in 1886. Editor and prop. "Norwich News." 1885-6. Editor and part owner "Kingman Daily News," 1886-7. Journalist in Philadelphia, 1888-9. Founded "Ad-hoc and Leather Facts," 1889, and its editor since. Editor "Edicion Pan-Americana." Editor for twenty years of "The Recorder", official organ of the F. M. C. First pres. Cedar Ave. Imp. Ass'n. Republican. Methodist. Inventor of "Spri-Foot," inside rubber heel. Mason. Fraternalist. Honorary member Sons of Del. Chairman Gen. Publicity National Fraternal Congress of America, and of the National Fraternal Press Association. Recommended as Fraternal Peace Commissioner in 1919. Officially thanked for war work by Governmental Bureau of Pub. Information and awarded medal by secretary of the treasury. Residence, 4837 Cedar Ave. Business address, 330-332 Drexel Bldg., Philadelphia. HAAG, Edward Newton (I7843)
 
240 Herald D. Keiser

Herald D. Keiser Sr., 417 Park Ave., Milton, died at noon, Aug. 18, 1986 in the Kramm's Nursing Home, Watsontown, where he had been a guest since March, 1985.
Born in Milton on April 4, 1903, he was a son of the late Edwin Lee and Annie (Dieffenderfer) Keiser. He was married on Sept. 7, 1927, to the former Lulu A. Herald, who preceded him in death in 1970.
A 1920 graduate of Milton High School, he was a 1923 graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science.
Mr. Keiser's father operated the Keiser Drug Store for 40 years, selling it to his son on Sept. 1, 1945. Mr. Keiser changed the name of the business to The Keiser Pharmacy and operated it until his retirement in June, 1972. The pharmacy, located at the northeast corner of South Front and Mahoning Sts. in Milton, carried the Rexall line.
He was a former member of the Central Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association, the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association, and the National Association of Retail Druggists. Mr. Keiser was a former member of the Milton Merchants Association, and was a former director and treasurer of the Milton Civic Improvement Association.
A member of the Trinity Lutheran Church of Milton, he was a member of the Milton Lodge 256, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he was a past master. He was a member of the Royal Arch Chapter 298 of Milton, the WilIiamsport, Consistory, and the Milton Elks Lodge 913.
Mr. Keiser was a former member of the WilIiamsport Shriners, the Irem Temple of Wilkes-Barre, and the Milton Rotary Club.
Surviving are a son, Herald D. Keiser, Jr., Milton; two grandchildren, and three great-grandsons; a brother, E. Lee Keiser, Jr., M.D., of Reading. 
KEISER, Herald D. (I2516)
 
241 HISTORICAL SKETCHES
of the Bench and Bar of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania

Marshall Reid Anspach

Marshall Reid Anspach was born in Milton, Pennsylvania, on October 4, 1895. He attended the Milton public schools, then Mercersburg Academy. He received his A. B. degree from Princeton University in 1919, his LL.B. from Harvard Law School in 1923, and was admitted to Lycoming County Bar that same year. He was sometime assistant city solicitor for Williamsport, solicitor for the County Commissioners, and a deputy attorney general of the Commonwealth. He was a veteran of World War I, having served in the Signal Corps.Mr. Anspach was president of the Lycoming Law Association in 1933. Outside of the legal field, his varied interests included education, religion, history, Masonry and rare books.For more than 20 years, he was a member of the Board of Visitors of the Theological Seminary for Franklin and Marshall College. His religious affiliation was with St. John’s United Church of Christ, where for 16 years he was president of that institution’s consistory. He had also been a member of the General Council of the Evangelical and Reformed Church, vice president of the Board of Business Management, president of the Church Historical Society, and also a member of its General Board of Home Missions.Masonic activities involved him as master of the Milton Lodge, in the ritual work of Williamsport Consistory and past sovereign of that body’s Council of Princes of Jerusalem, and in other Masonic groups.He was vitally interested in local history, and was active in the Lycoming and the Muncy Historical Societies. He was a founder, charter member, and past president of the Tiadaghton Chapter, S. A. R. For many years he edited “Now and Then”, the journal of the Muncy Historical Society, and served as its secretary.Late in his life, at the request of the County Commissioners, he revised the history of the county prepared 30 years before. He also held long membership on the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s committee on legal history and biography.Every member of our Lycoming County Bar is in his debt for his work entitled “Historical Sketches of the Bench and Bar of Lycoming County, 1795-1960”. The research involved was formidable; the preparation of the manuscript ultimately printed on 350 pages was arduous. Requests for copies were received from the Law Schools of Harvard, University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia, also from the Los Angeles City Law Library, the Pennsylvania State Library, and others. The best memorial to Marshall Reid Anspach is, therefore, his own “Historical Sketches.” His death occurred on April 26, 1962. He was survived by his wife, Mrs. Eleanor W. Anspach. There were no children. 
ANSPACH, Marshall Reid Esq. (I1944)
 
242 History of Northumberland Co. PA 1876: Bethuel Vincent had been captured by the British and Indians, at Freeland's fort. After his return from captivity, he was not slow to perceive that the importance of the settlements on Warrior Run had declined, and that Milton must far surpass them. So he lost no time in transferring his family and all his interests to the new town, and there, for many years, he lived one of her most prominent and respected citizens.

Nancy Reese - afterwards the wife of Bethuel Vincent - kept a millinery establishment on Front street, in partnership with her sister, Hannah. 
VINCENT, Bethuel (I2877)
 
243 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: Charles and Thomas Comly conducted business many years in their store on the east side of Front street above the bridge on the lot immediately below that occupied by the Methodist church. They had bought the business from James Moodie, who was a dealer in grain and stock. COMLY, Thomas (I3811)
 
244 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: Charles and Thomas Comly conducted business many years in their store on the east side of Front street above the bridge on the lot immediately below that occupied by the Methodist church. They had bought the business from James Moodie, who was a dealer in grain and stock. COMLY, Charles (I238)
 
245 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: On a back lane, now known as Elm street, stood two distilleries, owned by Moses Teas and Samuel Teas, with a large storage-building belonging to each.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 549: Moses Teas, distiller, was a man of social proclivities, dignified in manner, interesting in conversation, and the owner of a good library. His most intimate associates were George Eckert and George Calhoon; the trio were bachelors. Samuel Teas, brother to Moses, was associated with him in business.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 558: Five distinct distilling establishments were in operation at Milton within a few years after the founding of the town. Moses and Samuel Teas, either in partnership or individually, had two, one of which was situated on Elm Street at the south side of Limestone run, and the other on the opposite side of that stream a little farther south. 
TEAS, Samuel (I597)
 
246 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: On a back lane, now known as Elm street, stood two distilleries, owned by Moses Teas and Samuel Teas, with a large storage-building belonging to each.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 549: Moses Teas, distiller, was a man of social proclivities, dignified in manner, interesting in conversation, and the owner of a good library. His most intimate associates were George Eckert and George Calhoon; the trio were bachelors. Samuel Teas, brother to Moses, was associated with him in business.

Bell's History of Northumberland Co., PA page 558: Five distinct distilling establishments were in operation at Milton within a few years after the founding of the town. Moses and Samuel Teas, either in partnership or individually, had two, one of which was situated on Elm Street at the south side of Limestone run, and the other on the opposite side of that stream a little farther south. 
TEAS, Moses (I2997)
 
247 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: Andrew Straub came there (to Milton), late in the year 1779. He was from the county of Lancaster, and, besides being a man of sobriety and enterprise, he was a capable mill-wright and miller - two callings most necessary to the well-being of new settlements. When he arrived, he found no buildings standing there. The houses and shops of the Hulings, as well as another strong log-house, which had been built after theirs, had all been burned, at the capture of Fort Freeland, in July; but there was a new log-house then in process of erection, (“logged up to the square,") on the lot, now corner of Water street and Broadway. This building stood until it was burned in the fire of May 4th, 1876. Andrew Straub at once set about building a house for his family. It was a log structure, and stood on or near the site now occupied by the Milton National Bank. This, however, was intended only as a temporary shelter, and soon thereafter he built a larger house, with stable in connection - in the German way - on the west side of the present Filbert street. There he lived until 1793, when he removed to his new house, on the rear side of his farm - near the property now owned by Isaac Marsh, 'at the east end of' Centre street - and there he remained till the time of his death, August, 1806.

Meanwhile, about 1792, he had planned and prepared to build a mill to grind corn and wheat, for the subsistence of the settlers. He had dug a race-way from the easterly bend of Limestone Run to the river. The mill was to stand on the river bank, on or near the line between his own lands and those of James Black, right by the ruins of Hulings' blacksmith-shop, and where the engine-house now is. But, just then, there occurred an event which changed all his plans, and probably, to some extent, the future of the town; and it was in this way that it happened: Limestone Run, which then furnished all the mill driving-power which the settlement had, or could seem to hope for, came down in a westerly course, to the point where Mr. Straub had planned to divert the water, by means of his race, to his mill-wheels, and thence to empty it into the river. From that bend, it took a more south-westerly course, till it carne within a hundred yards of the west branch; but there, again, it capriciously turned towards the south, and, after a devious course in that direction for about two miles, it fell into Housel's Run, only a short distance above its mouth. Now, at the point where it approached within a hundred yards of the river, there was a low neck of ground, which, at high-water, was sometimes submerged, and which was, at all times, rather damp for cultivation. So the plowman, with an eye to better drainage, had thrown the furrows from the lowest part, leaving a deep depression there, and the result was that when, in a high Summer freshet, Limestone Run was swollen far beyond its ordinary bounds, the waters went tearing through the accidental furrow, and made it a permanent channel, closing forever the lower part of the stream to its junction with Housel's Run. Here was a new aspect of affairs; and Andrew Straub was not slow to profit by it. The flood had opened a new channel, and had, in a single day, made a better mill-site at the lower bend, than he had been able, with all his toil, to make at the upper one. So, without any vain regret, he closed the head-race, on which he had spent so much labor, and in a few months he had built, near to where the present stone bridge is, a log-mill, with wheel outside, and one run of stones, which gave the settlement its first real start on the road to importance, and which also gave to the town its name. For when the mill was completed, and in operation, the settlers of the surrounding country, glad to abandon the long route to the mill at Warrior Run, flocked in to Andrew Straub's, and called it "Mill-town," which afterwards was shortened and euphonized to the name Milton, at the suggestion of Mr. Straub's surveyor, when in the next year he laid out that portion of the town south of Broadway. Andrew Straub had, in partnership with a man named Yentzler, bought these lands from the insolvent estate of Colonel Francis, and afterwards, Yentzler becoming involved, his interest was purchased by Straub, who thus became sole owner. Settlers from New Jersey and the eastern counties of Pennsylvania came steadily in, and Straub's mill became so filled with work that, in 1794, he erected a new frame building, with three run of stones, and when all was ready, the water was turned from the wheel of the old log mill, into that of the new one, and the grinding continued without interruption. 
STRAUB, Andrew (I606)
 
248 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: The tannery of W. H. Reber is located on Elm street near Mahoning. The tanning business was started here in a small way, before the present century, by John Armstrong, from Montgomery County. By him it was sold to WiIliam Jordan, who in turn sold to Abraham Straub, about 1818. Twelve years later, Straub sold to Samuel T. Brown, and from him, it was purchased, in 1863, by William H. Reber, a practical tanner from Berks County. The tannery was burned October 7th, 1867. The present one was immediately commenced upon the ruins, and in the following December it was completed, and business resumed. The work is principally sole-leather, of oak and hemlock tannage. Annual production, twenty-two thousand sides. Hands employed, twenty-one. Tannery building, one hundred by seventy-three feet, two-story. REBER, William H. (I3393)
 
249 History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876: There was a log house of good size in process of erection and about ready for the roof, evidently intended as a farm house and probably built by the Black family of Sunbury, by whom that part of the town above Broadway was partly owned at that date. This house was subsequently completed, and in later years was owned by Dr. David Waldron. It stood at the corner of Broadway and Front street, and was destroyed by fire on the 4th of May, 1876.

At two o'clock in the morning of the 4th of May, in the present year (1876) there occurred at the north-east corner of Broadway and Water streets, a fire which, though not a very destructive one, as regards the amount of property consumed, yet should receive more than a passing notice, because it destroyed the oldest building in the town - the old log house, which, when Andrew Straub came to Limestone Run, in 1779, he found, not yet roofed, only "logged up to the square," and the only building of any kind in the place. This house, when burned, was ninety-seven years old, more than fifteen years older than Governor Pollock's old stone mansion, which stood adjoining, and which was unroofed and badly damaged by the same fire. The old house and a small building on the same lot, and both consumed, were the property of Dr. Waldron, who had no insurance. 
WALDRON, Dr. David M.D. (I3739)
 
250 JOHN GOOD, RETIRED MILLER, PASSES AWAY SUNDAY EVENING AT HIS HOME.
For Thirty Years He Conducted the Flowering Mill on Lycoming Creek Above Newberry, Which Since 1898, Has Been Run by His Son, John C.
— Sketch of the Deceased.

John Good, the well known retired miller, who for years had been a prominent resident of Old Lycoming Township, residing at the old flouring mill on Lycoming creek, above Newberry, died at 6 o’clock Sunday evening. Mr. Good suffered a stroke of paralysis on election day in February, this year, but subsequently got better, and was up and about. Three weeks ago, however, he became worse, gradually growing weaker until the end came Sunday evening. He ran the old Good mill for about thirty years, which was before that conducted by his father, the late George Good. The funeral will occur from the house (illegible) taken on the 12:40 p.m. train to Milton, where interment will he made.

John Good was born in Northampton county, Pa., March 8, 1833, and was the oldest son of George Good, deceased. He received a common school education and was reared a farmer. In 1858, he engaged in the mercantile business in Snyder county, Pa., and subsequently removed to Sunbury, where he followed merchandising three iyears. He then engaged in the milling business in Clinton county, and after his father's death, he purchased the old mill property on Lycoming creek, above Newberry. He conducted this mill until 1898, when his son, John C., took charge of the business, since which time the subject of this sketch had led a retired life.

Mr. Good was married in 1858 to Sarah, daughter of E. Crawford, of Delaware township, Northumberland county. Mrs. Good is dead, and the following children survive: O. W. Good, South Williamsport; John C. Good, at home; James Good, who resides near Watsontown, on a farm; Harry Good, Newberry; Clara and Nellie Good, at home; Bertha, wife of Robert Rogers, Newberry; Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Neyhart of Milton.

Mr. Good was a Republican in politics, and had been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many vears. He was one of the respected, progressive citizens of Lycoming township, and had a host of friends. He was a brother of Abram Good, the well known miller, of Newberry. 
GOOD, John (I9348)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27» Next»