Notes


Matches 101 to 150 of 1,313

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
101 "They began to move on Guy's Gap on the 27th of June, 8 am. The 7th Pennsylvania along with the 4th US and another company led the charge. The rebels were soon overtaken and the union took about 500 prisoners and four pieces of heavy artillery. The town of Milton suffered a loss on the 28th, when First Lt. Amos B Rhoads, Co. B of the 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was killed in the charge on the battery at Shelbyville. Amos's wife was not happy with the way her husband's remains were handled, and complained to the officers of the regiment.

When Amos was killed, it was late in the afternoon and the company did not have time to bury him. They employed an undertaker at Shelbyville to wash and dress the body and bury him. They could not send his body home at that time. Charles could not attend the burial himself due to the overwhelming number of prisoners and other duties he had to attend to since he was Provost Marshal. He had a hard time as Provost Marshal of the town of Shelbyville, as the men were imposed to plunder what they could. He sent Major Davis, Capt. Andress and Capt. Garrett to attend to the burial of all the dead. Charles was greatly upset to hear the family had such bad impressions about the way things were handled and hoped his mother would explain things to them." 
RHOADS, Lt. Amos B. (I3045)
 
102 (listed as Abraham) CADWALLADER, Abel (I1167)
 
103 (this was part of Columbia Co. in 1830; Montour Co. did not yet exist) CADWALLADER, Abel (I1167)
 
104

BIOGRAPHY:
After his mar­riage, Henry Beck settled upon a farm in Earl township, Berks county, where he followed farm­ing and tanning. In the year 1813 he moved with his family to a farm adjoining (and now a part of) Lewisburg, Union Co., Penn., which place he had previously visited with a view to settlement. Here he built a new tannery, which he carried on in connection with his farm. The large brick house at the upper end of Second street in Lewisburg was built by him in 1823, and was occupied by him and his family. By his wife, Hannah, he had six children, one of whom, named Daniel, died in infancy. The others were Samuel L. Beck, born April 6, 1802; Rebecca L., born November 30, 1807; Isaac L., born May 5, 1811, died May 20, 1856; Mary Ann, born October 19, 1815; Lydia L., born April 12, 1818. Hannah Beck died November 19, 1839, aged fifty-seven years. Henry Beck died January 2, 1846, aged sixty-nine years. Both are buried in the cemetery at Lewisburg, Penn. Henry Beck was a member of the Luth­eran Church at Lewisburg, while his wife, Han­nah, belonged to the German Reformed Church. He took an active part in town affairs, and in politics was a Democrat.
Of the other children of Henry Beck, Rebecca L. married John K. Housel, and died near Free-port, Ill., in 1892; Isaac L. married Mary Dreis­bach July 7, 1839, and died at Mifflinburg, Penn., in 1856, leaving two children, Henry and Kate; Mary A. married Thomas Reber, and died at Lewisburg in 1896; Lydia L. married Daniel Zeller, and still resides at Lewisburg. 
BECK, Heinrich (I1250)
 
105

BIOGRAPHY:
Abraham Fretz (Deacon), born in Bedminster Twp., Bucks Co., Mar. 30, 1769, died Mar. 7, 1844. Married Magdalena Kratz (daughter of John Kratz, of Hilltown), Apr. 30, 1793. She was born Aug. 30, 1776, died Jan. 9, 1840. He lived and died on the Old Fretz homestead, in Bedminster Twp. The farm consisting of about 255 acres he inherited from his father. He was an honest, upright citizen, a conscientious Christian, and much esteemed by the community in which he lived. It is related that while he was working in the field one day, a man rode up, and seeing his fine cows, wanted to buy one, but he did not want to sell. The man however insisted and asked him to set a price. He then thought that if he should ask double what the cow was worth, the man would leave without buying. But contrary to his expectation, the man laid down the money and drove the cow off. After the man was gone, he talked the matter over with his wife, and they decided it was "usury." So he mounted a horse, rode after the man, and gave him back half of the money, saying, "I don't want to be damned for a cow." He and his wife were members of the Mennonite church at Deep Run, of which he was for many years a deacon. Children: Anna, Rebecca, Jacob, Christian, John, Isaac, Martin, Elizabeth, Barbara, Abraham. 
FRETZ, Abraham (I1282)
 
106

BIOGRAPHY:
Abraham Fretz was born in Bucks Co., Pa., about 1736. He lived on a farm consisting of 226 acres, situated in the eastern part of Bedminster Twp., now known as "Fretz' Valley," and now owned by Philip K., and Reed Fretz. Abraham Fretz Sr., purchased said farm of one Fell, in 1757. Whom he married, and the date of his death, we have been unable to learn. He and his wife were, in all probability, members of the Mennonite church and buried at Deep Run. Their children were: Agnes, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah, Abraham. 
FRETZ, Abraham (I1276)
 
107

BIOGRAPHY:
Agnes Fretz, born in Bedminster, Bucks Co., Pa., Sept. 13, 1759; died-. Married Abraham Bewighouse. Occupation, farmer. Mennonites. They lived on the farm now owned by John Deihl, near Joseph Sine, in Bedminster Twp. Children: Daniel, Barbara, Christian, John, Mary. 
FRETZ, Agnes (I1278)
 
108

BIOGRAPHY:
Barbara Fretz, born in Bedminster Twp., Bucks Co., Pa., in 1773; died about 1821. Married Henry Fretz, for her first husband. (See Index of References No. 62). For her second husband she married Henry Hockman. Farmer. Lived on the farm now occupied by Rev. A. M. Fretz. Mennonites. Children: Mary, Christian, Barbara, Abraham, Veronica. 
FRETZ, Barbara (I1284)
 
109

BIOGRAPHY:
Benjamin Beck, son of Jacob, was born in 1814 in Northampton county and removed with his fa­ther to Lycoming county. In early life he learned stone cutting, which be continued to follow after he took up farming, having purchased a farm in Montour county, about three miles east of Pottsgrove, Pa. He was thus engaged to the those of his life, dying in his prime, April 16, 1863, at the age of forty-nine years. He married Eliza Derter, of Northampton county, born in 1818, who died Dec. 22, 1882, and they are buried at Center Church, in Liberty township, Montour county. They were members of the Center Lutheran Church. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Beck: Matilda, who married William Gaskins, of Danville, Pa.; Catherine, who married William R. Miller; George A.; William H.; Ella, who married Charles Weinland; and John A. 
BECK, Benjamin (I2458)
 
110

BIOGRAPHY:
Christian Fretz, (son of Weaver John) was born in 1734. He married Barbara Oberholtzer in 1757. She was born Nov. 20, 1737. Their married life ran through a course of forty-six years. He died May 1, 1803. His wife survived him twenty years, and died May 8, 1823. It is a noteworthy fact that at the time of her death, she was the mother of twelve children, had a hundred and nine grand children, and a hundred and three great grand children. Previous to his father's death, Christian, and his brother Isaac, lived on what is known as the Isaac Fretz' homestead, situated in Tinicum Twp., now owned by Henry F. Myers. He was one of the executors of his father's estate, and inherited the old homestead in Bedminster under the conditions previously mentioned in the will, and where he subsequently lived and died. To the homestead he added by purchase from his son John, the tract known as the "Poor Fields," in 1793, and which consisted of about 30 acres. He and his wife were members of the Mennonite church, and worshiped in the ever memorable Old Stone Church at Deep Run, which was the oldest Mennonite congregation in Bucks county. In his day the Indians were yet quite numerous, and often quite troublesome. It is related that he had a very fine horse, to which the Indians took a particular fancy, and wanted to buy, but he would not sell it. The Indians however, determining to gain possession of the horse, came by night and stole it. Some time after, he ascertained where the horse was, and went to the Indian camp, arriving at evening, and seeing the horse turned out to pasture, he cencealed himself until slumber had fallen upon the inhabitants of the wigwam. The Indians had a custom of just before retiring for the night, to go outside of their wigwarns and shout and make a great noise to frighten away the wild beasts. Knowing this to be the signal for retiring, be waited until he thought they were sound asleep, and then entered the lot, secured the horse, and returned home with it. It is also related that his son Joseph had a very fine young horse, and that during the Revolutionary war, when Washington's Army was encamped below Newtown, that foraging teams, accompanied by an officer on horseback, came to Christian Fretz's place for hay for the army, that the officer saw the horse, and in conversation with the foragemen, said it was a fine horse, that he would try and buy it, but if he could not buy it, he would have it anyway. The conversation between the officer and men was overheard by one of Christian's daughters, who ran to the house and told her brother, who was sitting at the loom weaving. As the officer was coming to the house by the front way, to see him about the horse, he not wishing to part with it, leaped through the window, ran to the barn by the back way unobserved by the officer, mounted the horse, and rode towards the Haycock Mountain. The officer however saw him as he dashed away with the horse, and followed some distance until he lost track of him. He rode the horse up through the wilderness country, a part of the time fording up the streams to cover his tracks and hid the horse at the place now known as Shellenberger's mill. A few days later the officer came again to Christian's place, and told him that he would have that horse.
The next day, however, Christian accompanied by a neighbor went to the Encampment at Newtown, and laid the matter before the General in command. The General gave him a writing of protection, told him not to trouble himself about the horse, and if the officer should come around again, to hand him that paper. In a few days the officer came the second time, and very impudently made demands for the horse, whereupon Christian handed him the paper from the General in command. He looked it over, dropped it and left. Among the relics of Christian Fretz's home is a table now owned by Mrs. Lapp, who lives at the Doylestown Mennonite meeting house, which was used in his family, and on which he, being a wealthy man, counted his money. The table was bought at the public sale of Christian Fretz's effects by Joseph Wisler, and is now in possession of his daughter, Mrs. Lapp. The children of Christian and Barbara Fretz, in the order of their birth are, viz: John, Agnes, Joseph, Henry, Martin, Jacob, Abraham, Isaac, Barbara, Christian, Mary, Elizabeth. 
FRETZ, Christian (I1210)
 
111

BIOGRAPHY:
Elizabeth Fretz was born on the old Fretz homestead, in Bedminster Twp., Pa., July 19, 1739; Married Jacob Kolb , May 22, 1760. He was born Apr. 16, 1737. They at first lived in Tinicum Twp., and afterwards moved to Hilltown Twp., near Blooming Glen, where many of their descendants still live. Farmer. Mennonites. Children: Isaac, John, Gertrude, Jacob, Abraham, Deilman, Henry, Elizabeth, Barbara, Catharine. 
FRETZ, Elizabeth (I1277)
 
112

BIOGRAPHY:
Elizabeth Fretz, born in Bedminster, Bucks Co., Oct. 20, 1780; died Feb. 29, 1828. Married Abraham Meyer, Nov. 21, 1809. He was born Apr. 21, 1784. Previous to his marriage, he was a mason, but after marriage purchased and worked a 100 acre farm in Salford. They were people of excellent worth, and much esteemed by all, and were members of the Mennonite church. Children: Mary, Isaac, Christian, Abraham, Anna, Elizabeth, Barbara. 
FRETZ, Elizabeth (I1287)
 
113

BIOGRAPHY:
George Beck was married to Mary Greiner, and had the following children: William, Susan, Jeremiah, Henry and Mary Ann; he remained in Berks county until his death in May, 1854. 
BECK, George (I1251)
 
114

BIOGRAPHY:
He lived previous to, and at the time of his father's death, in Haycock Twp., Pa., on the Tohickon, where he owned and ran a mill. He afterwards moved below Doylestown.
In 1800 he emigrated to Canada with all of his family except his daughter Barbara, who married Jacob Silvius, and remained with her family in Bucks Co., and Moses, who went out to Canada the year previous. The journey to Canada was in wagons, and on foot. The old people rode and the younger members of the family walked. It is said that Mrs. Hipple carried her child all the way to Canada on foot.
The journey was a very tedious one, through the thinly settled wilderness. In some places they had to cut a road through the forests, and for lack of bridges they had to ford the streams. Thus on their way they experienced many inconveniences and hardships. On one occasion near the close of the day, something broke about the wagon, without the repair of which they could not proceed, so one of the boys took a horse from the wagon, rode back twenty miles to the nearest blacksmith shop where the iron was repaired, and returned arriving at early dawn, when the horse was put to the wagon, and the journey continued. An incident which will serve to show the spirit of John Fretz, occurred during his residence in Pennsylvania. It was during the early days of the Revolution. The patriot army being somewhat destitute of arms, the soldiers went from house to house collecting guns for the army, from the settlers. On coming to his house they asked for his gun. He took the weapon from its accustomed place, and replied to the soldiers saying, "Yes, you can have my gun, but I'll keep hold of the butt end of it." In 1801, the first Mennonite church was established in Canada - known as Moyer's church. Of this church he was ordained Deacon in 1801, being the first Deacon of the Mennonite church in Canada.
Among the relics retained of the home of John Fretz, is a barrel churn of white cedar, made by him in Bucks Co., Pa., ninety-four years ago (1796) for his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Abraham Grobb, and is now owned by John Grobb, grandson of Eliza-beth. His children are: Manasseh, Barbara, Abraham, Ephraim, Judith, Moses, Anna, Diana, Sarah and Elizabeth. 
FRETZ, John (I1274)
 
115

BIOGRAPHY:
Henry Beck, the son of Johann Thomas Beck, was born in the Duchy of Hanau about the year 1748, and was four years of age when he came to Pennsylvania with his mother. He grew up in Berks county, and in the year 1775 married Margaret Wolfgang. Like almost all the Penn­sylvania Germans, he was engaged in farming, which he varied occasionally by superintending the wood-cutting for one of the local furnaces. The Revolutionary war came on shortly after his marriage. In the militia companies which were formed from time to time for short terms as the war progressed, and were composed chiefly of the farming population who attended to their farms in the summer and went into the army in the winter, he went out three different times, first as orderly sergeant and subsequently as lieutenant, and was in one of the commands that failed to cross the Delaware at the time when Washington captured the Hessians at Trenton. He remained upon his farm in Berks county until his removal to a farm near Pottsgrove, in North­umberland county, Penn., where he died in the year 1824. Both he and his wife Margaret are buried in the old Lutheran graveyard at Milton, Pennsylvania.
Henry Beck, by his wife, Margaret, had seven children, all of whom were born and reared in Berks county, on their father's farm. They were Henry, George, Thomas, Sophia, Elizabeth, Mary and Catharine. Henry Beck, the eldest son, was horn July 10, 1776, and was married to Hannah Ludwig, of Berks county. George Beck was married to Mary Greiner, and had the following children: William, Susan, Jeremiah, Henry and Mary Ann; he remained in Berks county until his death in May, 1854; his son, Henry Beck, with his family, resides at the present time at Potts­town, Berks county. Thomas Beck removed to Fayette, Seneca county, N. Y., where he resided until his death. Sophia married William Gross. Elizabeth married David Kaufman, who settled in Union county, Penn. Mary married Stephen Glaze, who settled in the northern end of Northumberland county, Penn. Catharine mar­ried John Hill, and resided upon the homestead near Pottsgrove until her death.
After his mar­riage, Henry Beck (the first son) settled upon a farm in Earl township, Berks county, where he followed farm­ing and tanning. In the year 1813 he removed with his family to a farm adjoining (and now a part of) Lewisburg, Union Co., Penn., which place he had previously visited with a view to settlement. Here he built a new tannery, which he carried on in connection with his farm. The large brick house at the upper end of Second street in Lewisburg was built by him in 1823, and was occupied by him and his family. By his wife, Hannah, he had six children, one of whom, named Daniel, died in infancy. The others were Samuel L. Beck, born April 6, 1802; Rebecca L., born November 30, 1807; Isaac L., born May 5, 1811, died May 20, 1856; Mary Ann, born October 19, 1815; Lydia L., born April 12, 1818. Hannah Beck died November 19, 1839, aged fifty-seven years. Henry Beck died January 2, 1846, aged sixty-nine years. Both are buried in the cemetery at Lewisburg, Penn. Henry Beck was a member of the Luth­eran Church at Lewisburg, while his wife, Han­nah, belonged to the German Reformed Church. He took an active part in town affairs, and in politics was a Democrat. 
BECK, Heinrich (I1228)
 
116

BIOGRAPHY:
Henry Fretz, born in Bedminster, Bucks Co., Pa, Feb. 17, 1763; died Oct. 9, 1820. Married Anna Krout, May 13, 1784. She was born Sept., 1764; died Jan. 22, 1806. Farmer. They lived in Bedminster Twp., on the farms now owned and occupied by John and Abraham Bewighouse. He was called, "Hurrying Hen," from his habit of hurrying, or urging his men who were working for him. Mennonites. He was married to a second wife named Beidler. No issue. Children by the first wife were: Elizabeth, Barbara, Christian, Mary, Sarah, Agnes, Abraham, Joseph, Annie, Henry, John. 
FRETZ, Henry (I1280)
 
117

BIOGRAPHY:
Isaac Fretz, born in Bedminster Twp., Bucks Co., Pa.. Feb. 12, 1771; died Nov. 1, 1843. Married Susanna Kratz, of Hilltown Twp. May 28, 1793. She was born Sept. 3, 1775; died Mar. 20, 1798. Children: Abraham, Enos, Susanna. In the year 1800, Isaac married his second wife, Veronica Kratz, of Skippack, Montgomery Co. She was born Oct. 28 1778; died 13, 1821. Children: John, Elizabeth, Jacob, Isaac, William, Mahlon, Mary, Samuel. In 1822 Isaac married his third wife, Betsey Landis. She was born Nov. 16, 1799; died Feb. 13, 1887. In early life Isaac Fretz followed the vocation of farmer. He owned and lived on the farm in Tinicum Twp. now owned and occupied by Henry F. Myers. He also for a time had teams on the road freighting goods from Philadelphia to Easton, Bethlehem, and Nazareth, with an occasional visit to Pittsburg and other points west. During his absence from home Mar. 4, 1804, his barn was struck by lightning and burned. On this occasion his wife Veronica, displayed heroic energy, in rescuing horses and cattle from the burning building, and undoubtedly would have perished herself in the flames, had she not at last been held back by the neighbors. In spite of all efforts to rescue the cattle from the flames, one horse and fourteen (some say 21) head of cattle perished. In 1815, Isaac built what is now known as the Fretz Valley Mill, on the Tohickon Creek, and in addition to farming operated the mill. During his busy life he succeeded to competency, and accumulated nearly 300 acres of land. He and wives were members of the Mennonite church. He, however, respected all denominations, and would never (without reproof) allow any one in his presence to speak lightly of any church, or church ordinance. 
FRETZ, Isaac (I1283)
 
118

BIOGRAPHY:
Jacob Beck, son of John and grandson of Johann Thomas, settled in Lycoming county, near Alvira, Pa. He is buried at the Messiah Church near that place. He was a large land owner and followed farming all his life. His family was large, viz.: Charles lived and died in Lycoming county; Henry and Peter lived and died in Ly­coming county; Benjamin is mentioned below; Catharine married John Breon; Mary married Mahlon Bower; George and William lived and died in Lycoming county; Hannah married Mr. Wenrick; Thomas lived and died in Lycoming county. 
BECK, Jacob (I2493)
 
119

BIOGRAPHY:
Jacob Fretz born in Bucks Co., Pa., Jan. 1, 1767; died Jan. 12, 1799. Married Elizabeth Kratz, Nov. 6, 1787. She was born in 1768. Resided in Solebury, at the place known as Fleecydale. Fuller and Dyer. Children: Philip, Barbara, Christian, Elizabeth, Mary. 
FRETZ, Jacob (I1281)
 
120

BIOGRAPHY:
Jacob Fretz was born in Bucks Co., Pa., about 1732, and was buried in the Old Mennonite graveyard, at Deep Run. About 1755, he was married to Catharine Nash. They at first lived on a farm in Tinicum Twp., near Erwinna, later known as the Ervine place, he having sold it to a man by the name of Ervine. It afterwards came into the hands of the Stovers. After he sold his farm near Erwinna, he purchased a farm in Bedminster Twp., where he lived and died, and where his son Joseph (known as Big Joe) also lived and died; after which it was sold to Isaac Detweiler, and is now owned and occupied by Aaron Yerger. The farm originally extended back to the Tohickon. Jacob and his wife were in all probability members of the Mennonite Church at Deep Run. Children: Elizabeth, Abraham, John, Hannah, Barbara, Magdalena, Jacob, William, Joseph, Isaac. 
FRETZ, Jacob (I1275)
 
121

BIOGRAPHY:
Johann Thomas Beck, the common ancestor of this branch of the family, was born in Germany, in what was then the countship of Hanau, In 1752, with his wife Esther and children, he em­barked for America, but he never reached the new land, dying at sea. The family landed at Philadelphia, where the widow again married, and the chil­dren became scattered. One son, Henry, went to Berks county, Pa., married Margaret Wolfgang, and reared a family of seven children. The other son, John, settled in Northampton county, where he lived and died. Three of his sons, Jacob, John and Henry, settled in White Deer Valley in the early part of the nineteenth century. 
BECK, Johann Thomas (I1232)
 
122

BIOGRAPHY:
John Fretz (son of Christian and Barbara) known as Warwick John was born on the "Old Homestead" in Bedminster Township, Bucks Co., Pa., May 24, 1758, and died Dec. 20, 1804, aged 46y-6m-26d. He married Ann Kratz, of Plumstead (daughter of Philip Kratz). She was born Nov. 4, 1764, and died Aug. 4, 1813, aged 48 years and 9 months. John Fretz bought what is called the "Poor fields," 25 acres, for three pounds 19 shillings, and sixpence, by patent from the executive council of Pa., dated June 12, 1787. The warrant for the same having been granted one year previously. This tract is situated in Bedminster Twp., and now occu-pied in part by Jonas Loux. In 1793 he sold this tract to Christian Fretz for the sum of fifty pounds. At the time of this sale he was a resident of Warwick. In 1790 while yet residing in Bedminster Township, he purchased of John Thomas, a tract of 130 acres in New Britain Township, now known as the Curly Mill property. This property he sold to Mark Fretz in 1792. He never resided on this property. In 1792, he bought 299 1/2 acres in Warwick Township, of Richard & Willet Smith for 1200 pounds "in good gold and silver money." In 1794 he built a barn on this property, and the following year, 1795, he built a stone house which is still standing, in good repair and occupied as a dwelling. To this property he added by various purchases, so that at his death he owned a connected tract of 600 acres. In connection with his occupation as farmer, he also distilled whisky. He and his wife were members of the Menno-nite church, and to them were born nine children: Elizabeth, Susan, Rachel, Barbara, Eliza, Mary, John, Anna, Philip. 
FRETZ, John (I1288)
 
123

BIOGRAPHY:
Joseph Fretz, born in Bedminster, Bucks Co., Pa., May 9, 1761, died Mar. 29, 1806. Married Maria Kraut Nov. 1, 1781. She was born Feb. 11, 1762, died-. He owned and operated a fulling Mill, near the Tohickon, in Haycock Twp., and was known as "Fuller Joe." Mennonite. Children: Elizabeth, Christian, Barbara, Anna, Maria, Susanna, Agnes, Rachel, Joseph, Sarah, John, Veronica. 
FRETZ, Joseph (I1279)
 
124

BIOGRAPHY:
LEVI H. STAHL was born March 5, 1849, on the Stahl homestead in what was Turbut town­ship, and received, his education in the old subscription schools of the locality. He was an en­thusiastic student, took a leading part in the old­ fashioned spelling bees of the day, and by steady application improved himself materially. He served as a supply teacher in his neighborhood. He was reared to farming and also acquired a practical knowledge of wood working. In 1888 Mr. Stahl went to farming on his own account in Delaware township, on one of his wife's grand­father's farms, living there for three years, since when he has been a farmer in Lewis township. In 1908 he settled at his present home, a farm of 100 acres formerly the homestead of Samuel Menges who settled there in 1832 and made his home there until 1841. Mr. Menges then moved to an adjoining farm, to the east, where he died. Many Indian relics have been found on Mr. Stahl's place, among them two Indian mills of which he has retained possession. He is serving at present as one of the auditors of his township, and was a member of the road board when the new law came into existence. Politically he is a Democrat, and he is a prominent member of the Lutheran Church at Turbutville, to which his fam­ily also belong; he has been a member of the church council since 1898.
In 1881 Mr. Stahl married Kate L. Menges, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Smith) Menges, and they have had four children: Nellie, who is mar­ried to Oliver Rissel and has three children, Edith L., Lee F. and Myron L.; Ramah T.; Rosa E.; and Frank P. 
STAHL, Levi Henry (I8874)
 
125

BIOGRAPHY:
Martin Fretz, born on the Old Homestead, in Bedminster Twp., Aug. 9, 1764; died Sept. 26, 1835, 71y., 1m., 19d. Farmer and Linseed Oil manuf'r. He lived in Hilltown Twp., near Yost's Mill, on the farm now occupied by Jacob Smith. He was an honest, upright man, and held in high esteem. As a christian, he endeavored faithfully to discharge his religious duties, in all of which he was conscientiously strict. He never allowed any member of his family to leave the church before the benediction was pronounced. An adage of his was: "Wer naus geht vor dem segen, geht dem fiuch entgegen." Though at times taking a smoke, it was a saying of his, "That he never wanted to be a slave to tobacco or whisky." In the time of the subject of this sketch, many of the luxuries of the present day were not enjoyed. There were no carpets, and no parlor matches in those days. Sometimes they had to go to neighbors for fire, and on one occasion the Fretz' meadow was set on fire by borrowed fire. For the married girls in those days the dry goods outfit was mostly homemade. The spinning wheel was one of the fixtures of the family, and in this family of ten girls there were six spinning wheels going at one time, commencing at 5 o'clock in the morning, and continuing until 10 and 11 P.M. One of the daughters, Mrs. Susanna Funk, generally spun 18 cuts of flax per day, and one day she spun 20 cuts. The reel and the shaving bench were in the same room. Martin Fretz was one of the first to get a Dearborn pleasure wagon. Bows and cover were taken along, and if wanted, in case of rain, were put up. Among the relics of this home is a bar of soap made by his wife in 1816, one of her last acts, now in the possession of a granddaughter, Esther Hunsberger, of Dublin, Pa. Martin Fretz was twice married. His first wife was Anna Kratz, by whom he had fifteen children. She was born Sept. 11, 1768; died June 24, 1816. He married for his second wife Anna Licey. They were members of the Mennonite church at Blooming Glen, where he and his wives lie buried. The children, all by the first wife, are: Barbara, Mary, Agnes, Betsey, Betsey, Nancy, Veronica, Martin, Martin, Susanna, Silas, Veronica, Catharine, Leah, Rachel. 
FRETZ, Martin (I1200)
 
126

BIOGRAPHY:
The brothers John, and Christian Fretz, together with a third brother (name unknown, and who died on the voyage), emigrated from near the City of Manheim, in the Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, formerly known as the Palatinate, or Rheinish Prussia.
They were of German origin, as is quite evident from the fact that they wrote and spoke the German language, and were connected with a distinctively German church. That they were of German origin, is also evident from the fact that on the opposite side of the Rhine, in the province of Alsatia, there are to this day, living where they have lived for the past two or three centuries, many Fretz's of an old Alsatian Stock, who claim they are of German origin, ''as all true Alsatians are".
The Province of Alsatia was annexed to France in 1648, prior to that time it was always under German Dominion, and while the French language was exclusively taught in the schools, the language spoken is a German dialect, with decided variations in different localities.
At what port the Fretz ancestors landed, or the exact date of their arrival into this country is not known, but may have been between the years of 1710 and 1720. It is said that they came to this country during what was known as "the last persecution." They were given the alternative of connecting themselves with the state church, or leave the country, and they chose rather than to give up their religious liberty to leave the "Fatherland," the land of their birth, and the homes of their kindred and friends, the graves of their ancestors, and all the hallowed associations of the home and country of their nativity, and found for themselves a home in a strange and far-off land where they could worship God "under their own vine and fig tree," according to the dictates of their own conscience without fear of molestation.
Undoubtedly they had heard that America afforded a refuge for the oppressed and granted religious liberty to all its subjects, and naturally enough they turned their steps hither, where they too, might enjoy liberty of conscience. And thus are we, as their descendants, citizens of this great liberty loving country. How we, of today, should prize this liberty! Think what our Ancestors sacrificed to enjoy it. How they left their native land, a country established many hundreds of years, to seek a home in the new world, in the wilds of America.
They came about thirty-five years after the charter was granted, and the great seal of England, with the signature of Charles II. was affixed, and William Penn became the proprietor of Pennsylvania. They were here about thirty-five years before the French and Indian war, in which George Washington, was a British Colonel. Our first ancestor, John Fretz, slept beneath the sod before the fires of the Revolution were kindled, or about three years before the battle of Lexington.
They came when the country was but sparsely settled, when the inconveniences were great, and when the equally dangerous red man infested the land. They were still living during the period when some of the great subjects which eventually led to the war of the Revolution were being agitated, and their children were settled with families during the bloody struggle for Independence, and although being non-combatants, they were true and loyal to the American cause, and aided it as best they could, without compromising their religious faith by bearing arms.
Our ancestors and their immediate descendants were Mennonites, who worshiped at Deep Run, Bucks Co., Pa., first in the old log church, which was probably built in 1746, and later in the old stone church, built in 1766, and which stood for over a hundred years. They no doubt aided in erecting this church, both by contributing of their means and labor, and from it they were carried to their last earthly resting place in the cemetery adjoining. There may their ashes rest in peace until the trump of Gabriel shall awake the dead to come forth, and obtain the inheritance of the faithful.
Which of the two brothers was the elder is not known as no records of the birth of either have been found.
Christian, settled in Tinicum township, Bucks Co., Pa., along the Tinicum Creek, on what is now known as Heaney's Mill.
It is not known where John Fretz at first settled. He afterward settled in what was then Plumstead township, but now Bedminster, on what is known as the Old Fretz Homestead, situated about one mile North East of Bedminsterville, now owned by Ely Fretz, and occupied by his son, Mahlon M. Fretz.
The homestead originally consisted of 230 acres of land, which John Fretz purchased of Bartholomew Longstreth in 1737 or 1738, for which he paid 106 pounds. The release being given in the latter year in the month of May. The tract when purchased had a house, barn, and other buildings, but was surrounded on all sides by vacant and unimproved wild land. A veritable wilderness. The homestead now includes the whole or part of four farms - viz, Samuel High's 69 acres, Ely Fretz's 57 acres, Isaac L. Fretz's 44 acres, and Reuben Miller's 60 acres. John Fretz was a weaver by trade, and is known as "Weaver John." Of his public services nothing is known of especial interest further than that he was one of the committee to form the new township of Bedminster in 1741.
He was twice married, but the maiden name of neither wife is known. By his first wife Barbara, he is known to have had five children, and by his second wife, Maria, three. There may have been more, but if there were they died young.
John Fretz died in 1772, probably in February. His last will and testament, was dated January 29, 1772, and was probated on the third day of March of the same year, which shows that he died between the two dates given. The provisions of the will were that his son Christian should have the farm, and pay 800 pounds, and each of the children were to have equal shares, except the sum of 60 pounds which was to be distributed among the children of his first wife, and which came from their Grandfather, (probably on the mother's side.)
To the widow was willed a 100 pounds of which she was to receive the interest as long as she remained his widow. She was to have the house in which George White lived at that time.
The last Will and Testament of John Fretz, as an old and rather peculiar document, will no doubt be interesting reading, and of sufficient importance to warrant its insertion in the history of the connection. 
FRETZ, Johannes (I1212)
 
127

BIOGRAPHY:
The SUPPLEE FAMILY. The pioneer of the Supplee family in America was Andris Souplis, a Frenchman, born in France, in the year 1634, a man of distinguished parentage, a soldier, an officer in the French army, and also a Huguenot.

Andris Souplis left France in 1682 and went to Germany from which he sailed in 1683, and, with a party of German emigrants, came to America, settling in the present Germantown the early part of 1684.

He was a man of great intellilgence and ability, and was held in high esteem by William Penn, who was then residing in Philadelphia, and was Governor of the Province of Pennsylvania.

With his wife, Anneckie, he settled in Germantown, where, in 1691, he became the first sheriff of Philadelphia County.

They had five children, as follows, in the order of birth: Bartholomew, Margaret, Andrew, Ann and Jacob.

In his will dated March 25, 1724, he states that he was aged, but of sound mind and good health. He also states that he was then living upon his plantation in Kingsessing Township, Philadelphia County, in the Province of Pennsylvania.

His property was on the west bank of the Schuylkill River south of present day Baltimore Avenue. A part of his property is now in Bartram's Garden, which is located on Elmwood Avenue, west of 54th Street.

He died in the early part of the year 1726, aged ninety-two years. His wife survived him.

He relocated to Kingsessing Township, Philadelphia County. His property was on the west bank of the Schuylkill River south of present day Baltimore Avenue. 
SOUPLIS, Andris (I1324)
 
128

BIOGRAPHY:
Thomas Beck removed to Fayette, Seneca county, N. Y., where he resided until his death. 
BECK, Thomas (I1252)
 
129

BIOGRAPHY:
Gertrude married Garnett Spindell against her father's objections. She was 32 years old and what would have been considered an old maid at the time. Her father disowned her and insisted all her siblings do the same. Gertrude had two children when Garnett died. The children were sent to a foster home because none of Gertrude's siblings would take them after Gertrude died in 1909.
 
CADWALLADER, Gertrude Hammond (I1309)
 
130

BIOGRAPHY:
Mr. Benjamin Hooven was by trade a blacksmith, and followed his vocation in Upper Merion Township. He enlisted during the war of 1812, and lost his life while in the service.
 
HOOVEN, Benjamin (I1478)
 
131

From Floyd's History of Northumberland County 1911:
Dr. Frank W. Bailey holds a high place among the dental practitioners of Northumberland County, and is a well known and popular citizen of the town of Milton. He attended Pennsylvania State College, and completed his education at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1900. He then bought the office and goodwill of the late Dr. E. E. Clark, at 34 Broadway, Milton, PA, and he has through his skill and his pleasant manner won many friends and has a very large practice. 
BAILY, Dr. Frank W. (2) (I841)
 
132

OBITUARY: DIED AT 101 YEARS
Miss Mary Supplee, the Last of Her Race, Passes Away.
Collingswood, N.J. July 30 --- Miss Mary Supplee died here to-day, at the age of 101 years. She was a native of Pennsylvania, where she remained until some years prior to her death. She was born in Montgomery County, May 31, 1795. Her ancestors were of French descent, and left France for Holland at the time of the Edict of Nantes. Andrew Supplee was the ancestor of this portion of the Supplee family, and emigrated from Holland to America in the year 1661, soon after locating in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Norris City Cemetery, in which Mary Supplee will be buried is located on what was a portion of the farm of her ancestors, which she and one sister and brother inherited. The old school house located upon the farm, and built by the Supplee family over one hundred and fifty years ago, for the convenience of the family, to which neighboring children were admitted, was a picturesque little building until within the last few years. The family burying ground originally adjoined this school house.

She was the last of her generation. Of the next later generation, two nephews and one niece remain, William W. Supplee and J. Wesley Supplee, residing in Philadelphia, and Mrs. Charles P. Perry, residing in Norristown, Pa.

The Supplees are descendants of the Huguenots. After the Revocation of Nantes, by Louis XIV, these good men left their vineyards, mulberry orchards, and silk cultures and came to this new land, and the honored names in South Carolina, New York, and Pennsylvania show that the best blood of France enriches this country. The earliest emigrants Souplis, as the name was then spelled, settled in Pennsylvania in 1685.

William Penn esteemed him, and gave Andrew Souplis offices of honor. The Supplees are of Welsh descent on the female side, and their Welsh ancestors were very much interested in maritime……………………

Copied from a clipping found in a collection at the Historical Society of Montgomery County, 13 Aug 2002. The end of the article had crumbled and could not be read.
Mary Supplee was Enoch's daughter, sister of John, and aunt of Andrew Hooven Supplee.
 
SUPPLEE, Mary (I1445)
 
133

OBITUARY: Public Ledger - 19 Jan 1858
On the 18th inst. Mr. Andrew Supplee, aged 35 years. His relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of his father, Mr. John Supplee, No. 123 Almond Street, on Thursday morning next at 10 o'clock. 
SUPPLEE, Andrew Hooven (I1221)
 
134

Will:
This indenture, made the 28th day of April, A.D. 1830, between Seth Cadwallader and Elizabeth his wife, late Elizabeth Hammond, John Snyder and Margaret his wife, late Margaret Hammond, and Robert R. Hammond, and Anna his wife, heirs, legal representatives of George Hammond late of Turbot Township, in Northumberland County, dec'd. of the one part, and Robert H. Hammond, of the same township and county, of the other part 
HAMMOND, George (I1173)
 
135
From The Daily Item, Manchester, NH

Frederick Dickerman M.D.

MANCHESTER, N.H. - Frederick Adelbert Dickerman, M.D., 89, of Manchester since the 1940s, died Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at the Courville of Manchester.

He was born Feb. 16, 1915, in Watsontown, Pa., a son of Herbert T. and Carrie (Hilliard) Dickerman.

A graduate of Bucknell University and Jefferson Medical School, his studies were interrupted by World War II, when he served as a flight surgeon with the Air Force during a two-year tour in Europe.

He resumed his medical studies at Washington University in St. Louis and the Wills Eye Clinic in Cincinnati.

Dr. Dickerman practiced ophthalmology in Manchester until his retirement and, in the prime of his career, was well-known on the East Coast for his knowledge of pediatric strabismus surgery.

A member of the Elliott Hospital (Manchester) staff for 50 years, he was a member of the New England Ophthalmological Society, the New Hampshire Medical Society and the Hillsborough County Medical Society.

Church was an important part of his life, and he was a member of the Brookside Congregational Church.

He was a former member of the Manchester Exchange Club, and Dr. Dickerman was a strong supporter of the Boy Scouts of America.

A sports enthusiast, he especially enjoyed football and he loved gardening and playing bridge.

His first wife, Lois Lillian Brown Dickerman, died in 1980.

Members of his family include his wife, Lois Roy Dickerman, the love of his life, to whom he was married since 1983; daughters, Carrie Dickerman Romaine of Manchester and Jean Dickerman Distler and her husband, John, of Louisville, Ky.; his grandchildren, Jessica S. Romaine of Manchester, Alexandra L. Distler of Louisville and Clay C. Distler of Telluride, Colo.; and his long-time secretary and beloved friend, Lynn G. Wilson of Goffstown.

A memorial service for Dr. Dickerman will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 in the chapel at Brookside Congregational Church, 2013 Elm St., Manchester, by the Rev. William Donoghue.

Burial will be in Milton, Pa. 
DICKERMAN, Dr. Frederick Adelbert (2) (I2120)
 
136
Biography:
Abraham Redcay, son of Daniel, was born Jan. 23, 1847, and in his youth learned the trade of molder at McEwensville. In 1872 he came to Milton and became connected with the American Car & Foundry Company, and in 1889 was made foreman of the foundry department, a position he still holds. During the Civil war he served as a private in Company B, 210th Pennsylvania Volunteers, spending nine months in the service of his country. He is a member of Henry Wilson Post, No. 129, G.A.R. He and his family attend the Lutheran Church. They reside at No. 231 Park avenue, Milton, in a home Mr. Redcay built and moved into at the time of his marriage. He votes the Prohibitionist ticket, and takes a firm stand for his party's principles. 
REDCAY, Abraham (I1581)
 
137
Biography:
Daniel Redcay, Son of John, was born Feb. 1, 1812, and died June 1, 1890, and is buried at McEwensville, Pa. He came to Northumber­land County in his young manhood, and settled at McEwensville, where in 1859 he built the home in which he resided until his death. He was a contractor and builder, and many of the houses and barns in that district were built by him. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, and in politics was a Democrat. He married Abby Kint, who was born at Brier Creek, Berks County, April 18, 1818, and died April 13, 1904, and is buried at McEwensville. Their children were: William and Christian, who both died young; Angeline, born Dec. 24, 1842, on the old homestead; Henry, born Feb. 4, 1845, living in Watsontown; Abraham; and Edward, born in 1861, living at Scranton. 
REDCAY, Daniel (I1588)
 
138
Biography:
Kate was a teacher at the high school on Turbot Ave. when my father attended school there. One Winter day the kids were lined up the steps in the front of the school. My father was among them, down near the street. A boy behind him threw a snowball at a kid at the top of the stairs. It splashed into Kate's face, and she glared directly at my father. He told the kid behind him "now you've done it - she thinks I threw it!" Sure enough, when he reached the top of the stairs, Kate swung and punched him in the face, knocking him all the way down the steps to the street. 
BOGLE, Kate B. (I2546)
 
139
From History of Northumberland Co. PA 1876:
David Rittenhouse had, in the year 1816, built the large brick house on Front Street, now known as the United States Hotel. He first intended it as a dwelling-house, but afterwards rented it to Lemuel B. Stoughton, who opened it as a public house, and advertised it in the Miltonian as follows: Spread-Eagle Tavern (first below where Bethuel Vincent formerly kept) - L. B. Stoughton respectfully informs travelers and others, that he has rented that spacious, airy and convenient three-story brick-house of David Rittenhouse, Esq., where he keeps a public house of entertainment, for the accommodation of travelers and others. No possible exertion will be spared to render general satisfaction."

The old Eagle Hotel, on Front street, a building part frame and part log, which, sixty years ago, was occupied by the Northumberland, Union and Columbia Bank, and which later, at various times, was kept as the "Spread Eagle Tavern," and as the "Eagle Hotel," by Lemuel B. Stoughton, Captain John M. Huff, and others, was, in 1871, demolished by the latter gentleman, and he erected in its place a fine three-story house, and named it for himself, "Huff's Hotel." 
STOUGHTON, Lemuel B. (I3904)
 
140
History of Northumberland Co., PA 1876:
The tanning business was started here in a small way, before the present century, by John Armstrong, from Montgomery County. 
ARMSTRONG, John (I630)
 
141
OBITUARY: J. Cadwallader, Bell Telephone Engineer, Dies
Mt. Lebanon Man Served 36 Years
Funeral services for James A. Cadwallader, Bell Telephone Co. engineer for 36 years, will be held Thursday at 2 p. m. in the Beinhauer Mortuary, 2630 West Liberty Ave.
The 59-year-old electrical engineer died suddenly yester-day morning in Allegheny Genera I Hospital. His home was at 111 McCann Place, Mt. Lebanon.
Mr. Cadwallader, whose official title was engineer of transmission and outside plants, helped plan the new State Police communica­tion system which was installed two years ago.
Joined Firm In 1912

Born in Milton, Pa., Mr. Cadwallader joined the Bell Telephone Co. in 1912 at Philadelphia as a student engineer after his graduation from the University of Penn­sylvania.
He came to Pittsburgh in 1922 as a transmission engineer.
Mr. Cadwallader was a fellow of the American Institute of Elec­trical Engineers and a member of the Engineers' Society of Western Pennsylvania; Telephone Pioneers of America; Mt. Lebanon Presbyterian Church; Chamber of Com­merce; Euclid Lodge 698, F. A. A. M.; Harrisburg Consistory, and Zenbo Temple of the Mystic Shrine, Harrisburg.
Survived by 12
Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Mae E. Schreyer Cadwallader; a son, James A. Cadwallader Jr. of Syracuse, N. Y.; a daughter, Mrs. Florence M. Bowman of Pittsburgh; two brothers, Austin S., South Pasadena, Cal. and Dr. S. I. Cad­wallader, Harrisburg; three sisters, Mrs. P. B. Worrell, Mrs. Norman Rife, both of Philadelphia, and Mrs. Harry Hill, Milton, Pa., and four grandchildren.
Friends are being received at the funeral home. Burial will be in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. 
CADWALLADER, James Albert (I2999)
 
142
OBITUARY: Mrs. Kate Hill Jenkins
(Steelton, Dauphin Co., PA)
This morning at 2:30, Kate Hill Jenkins, wife of David J. Jenkins, passed peace­fully to the great beyond. A husband and three children survive, the youngest child being not quite three weeks old. Mrs. Jenkins was a young woman, only enter­ing the prime of life, being in her 32d year. Of a loveable, generous, Christian disposition, her circle of friends extended to all who knew her. Deceased was a member of the Central Baptist Church, the pastor of which, Rev. Schools, assist­ed by Rev. McDowell, will conduct services at the home, 185 South Second street, this evening at 8 o'clock. Tomorrow morning at 8:10 the remains will be taken to Milton for interment on Sunday. Mrs. Jenkins was the daughter of Mr. Seth Hill, of Milton, and was highly educated. A sister is a missionary in India (Africa) and an older sister was at the bedside when death came.

OBITUARY: FUNERAL OF MRS. JENKINS
The funeral of Mrs. Kate Hill Jenkins took place in Milton on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Sallada, pastor of the Baptist church, assisted by Rev. J. M. Reamsnyder, pastor of the Lutheran church, both of Milton. The church quartette, of the Baptist church, rendered several beautiful selections of music. The funeral was largely attended by relatives and friends from Milton, Sunbury, Bellefonte and this place. 
HILL, Kate E. (I1194)
 
143
Walter Strine Sr. dead at 100


By Chris Brady and Jeff Shaffer
Published:
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:55 AM CDT
MEDIA — A longtime Milton businessman died Monday evening in Media.

Walter Strine Sr., who purchased and developed numerous Milton properties over the years, most notably the Rockwell Center, died at age 100.

He founded Media Real Estate Co. in 1945. One of his two surviving sons, William Strine, now serves as president and CEO of the company. His other son, Walter Strine Jr., is a partner in Commonwealth Real Estate Investors, Media, where Walter Sr. and William served as the other two partners.

“Walter was a great businessman that never forgot his roots,” said Jeff Coup, president of The Coup Agency, who knew of Strine’s legacy. “Even though he didn’t live here long, he remained loyal to Milton.

*
“He owned real estate and invested in Milton and visited many times.”

Jeff Cadorette, vice president of administration and development at Media Real Estate, said Strine was active in the Media community as a longtime member of the Rotary Club, where he served as past president. He also served as a district governor.

The oldest graduate of Williamson Free School of the Mechanical Trades, Media, Strine donated $3.3 million toward the learning center and library, which was dedicated two years ago and named in his honor. He was a longtime member of the school’s board of trustees.

Strine was also a contributor to numerous other Media causes, including the youth center.

“From humble beginnings, his training was as a bricklayer,” said Cadorette. “He subsequently went to Wharton School (of Business at the University of Pennsylvania) where he got his real estate license.

“He was just a legend around here as far as his being a real estate developer, what he’s done not only for Milton, but this community as well. He just had an incredible vision and incredible knack when it came to real estate and finding properties — almost unparalleled.” 
STRINE, Walter Martin (I3350)
 
144 JOSEPH A. LOGAN, editor and publisher of the Miltonian, was born in Milton, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, son of Samuel and Rose (Sties) Logan. His father was a native of Philadelphia, and removed to Milton in 1840, and died in September, 1863 His mother was born in Germany, and still resides in Milton. The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools and an academy. In December, 1880, he became publisher and proprietor of The Miltonian. He was married in 1882, to Lulu, daughter of Enos and Isabella Tilden, natives of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, respectively, and to them were born two children: Bolton and Inez. Mr. Logan is a Republican in politics; he has served as a member of the town council, and held the position of postmaster under President Arthur. He enlisted when fifteen years old in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, served until discharged, re-enlisted in Company E, Fifty-first regiment, and served until the close of the war. He is a past post commander of Henry Wilson Post, G. A. R., and a member of the F. & A. M. Mr. Logan is a stockholder in the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company and the Milton Driving Park and Fair Association. LOGAN, Joseph A. (I1817)
 
145 A TRIBUTE published in the pages of THE ITEM
SUNBURY, PA.
MAR 29, 1982
William D. Sekscienski

MILTON — William D. Sekscienski, 79, of 100 Cedar St., a Milton businessman for 45 years, died at 1:30 p.m.Sunday in the Geisinger Medical Center, Danville. He was stricken ill Sunday in home.
He was previously hospitalized last week and was discharged on Saturday. He was owner and operator of the former River Bridge Hotel, retiring in 1974.

Born Feb. 10, 1903, in Carnegie, he was the son of the late John and Mary Gajda Sekscienski. He was married in 1930 to the former Mary Ellen Meckley, who survives. He lived in Milton since 1923.

Mr. Sekscienski was a member of Joseph’s Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, and a life member of the Elks Lodge 913, all of Milton.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by one son, William S. of Bowie, Md.; two daughters, Mrs. Gloria J. Reeder of Milton and Mrs. Joan S. Spotts of Watsontown; 10 grandchildren; one great-grandson; two brothers, Stanley Seksinsky of Milton and John Sekscienski of Danville; and four sisters, Mrs. Florence Frederick, Mrs. Helen Uhar, and Mrs. Mary Kanasky, all of Milton, and Mrs. Viola Sautoni of Lewisburg RD3.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday in St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Milton, by the Rev. Joseph F. Braubitz. Burial in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Milton RD2.
Friends in the Dale E. Ranck Funeral Service Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. where the rosary will be recited at 8:30. 
SEKSCIENSKI, William D. (I8189)
 
146 Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: C. F. FOLLMER, insurance agent, was born in Turbut township, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, August 15, 1838, son of Daniel and Sarah (Lance) Follmer. Daniel Follmer was a son of Henry and a grandson of John Follmer, the first of the family to settle on Limestone run in Turbut township. The subject of this sketch was educated at the township schools and the McEwensville Academy. He engaged in farming until about 1864, when he established his present business, representing many of the best companies of America and England. Mr. Follmer is interested in the Buffalo Milling Company of Lewisburg, and the old homestead in Turbut township. He is secretary and treasurer of the Milton Gas Company, and one of the directors of the First National Bank. In 1872 he was united in marriage with Abby, daughter of William F. Thomas, of Moorestown, New Jersey, and by this union they have two children: Henrietta and Annie G. Mr. Follmer and family are members of the Presbyterian church, and politically he is a Democrat. FOLLMER, Charles Franklin (I3838)
 
147 Bell's History of Northumberland County PA 1891: SPENCER L. FINNEY merchant, was born in Buffalo valley, Union county, Pennsvlvania, February 16, 1834, son of James and Elizabeth (Johnson] Finney, farmers by occupation.

His father was a Republican in politics, and filled various township offices in Union county. About 1864 he removed to Milton, where he died in 1876 his wife died in 1872. They reared seven children : Elizabeth, wife of John S. Lawson, of Milton; Mary H.; Spencer L.; Margaret S., widow of J. H. Haines, of Genesee county, New York; Eleanor, wife of B. Young of Mifflinburg, Union county, and James R., of Lawrence, Kansas.

Mr. Finney was reared on the homestead farm and received his education at the township schools, and at the old academy on Broadway hill, Milton, Pennsylvania. At the age of eighteen years he came to Milton and entered the store of William Heinen & Brother as clerk, and has since been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He established his present business in May, 1856, starting in a small way, and had become one of the prosperous merchants of Milton when the fire of 1880 burned him out, with a loss of twenty thousand dollars above all insurance. He immediately rebuilt his present store room, where he conducts one of the leading mercantile establishments in Milton.

He is a stockholder in the Milton Knitting Company and the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company, of which he is one of the examining committee. Politically he is a Republican, and has served as chief burgess of Milton two terms and as member of the town council fifteen years.

In September, 1856, he married Sarah W., daughter of Elias Wertman, of Columbia county. Mr. and Mrs. Finney are members of the Presbyterian church, in which he has served as trustee and librarian many years, and has been a ruling elder for about twenty years. He is a member of Henry Wilson Post. G. A. R. of Milton. In 1862 he served as corporal in Captain Thaddeus Bogle's company of Emergency Men that went out to assist in repelling the rebel invasion of that year, but saw no further active service.

NOTE: His store was four lots north of the engine house on the west side of S. Front Street. It can be seen on the map of 1870. 
FINNEY, Spencer L. (I3828)
 
148 Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
Follmer, Frederick Voris

Born December 13, 1885, in Milton, PA
Died May 3, 1971

Federal Judicial Service:
Judge, U. S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
Nominated by Harry S Truman on July 31, 1946, to a new seat created by 60 Stat. 654; Confirmed by the Senate on July 31, 1946, and received commission on August 7, 1946. Service terminated on June 1, 1955, due to assignment to another court.

Judge, U. S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
Nominated by Harry S Truman on July 31, 1946, to a new seat created by 60 Stat. 654; Confirmed by the Senate on July 31, 1946, and received commission on August 7, 1946. Served as chief judge, 1962-1962. Assumed senior status on December 30, 1967. Service terminated on May 3, 1971, due to death.

Judge, U. S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Nominated by Harry S Truman on July 31, 1946, to a new seat created by 60 Stat. 654; Confirmed by the Senate on July 31, 1946, and received commission on August 7, 1946. Service terminated on June 1, 1955, due to assignment to another court.

Education:
Bucknell University, A.B., 1906
Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1909

Professional Career:
Private practice, Pennsylvania, 1910-1935
Assistant district attorney, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1911-1914
U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1935-1946 
FOLLMER, Frederick Voris (I149)
 
149 BIOGRAPHY from Bell's History of Northumberland Co., 1891: B. K. HAAG, merchant, was born, January 9, 1817, in Berks county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of John and Mary C. (Knauss) Haag. His education was received in the subscription and common schools. At the age of twenty-one years he left his father's farm to begin a business life for himself, his first employment being in the general mercantile store of Geddes, Green & Walls at McEwensville, this county, where he remained four years. Following this were four years' service as a clerk in a general store in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. In 1847 he came to Milton and formed a partnership with T. S. Mackey & Son, under the firm name of Mackey & Haag, dry goods and hardware. At the expiration of two years Mr. Haag withdrew from this connection and joined Montgomery Sweney, and for one year did a general dry goods and grocery business, under the firm title of Sweney & Haag. After one year's association with the concern of Haag & Caldwell, the stock was divided and Mr. Haag kept a store for a period on the present site of the Milton National Bank. In 1853 he established his present hardware and book store, which was conducted under the firm cognomen of Haag & Brown until the panic of 1857, which compelled Mr. Haag to assume all responsibility of the business, and since then he has been alone until joined by his son-in-law, John Buoy. In 1863 he purchased a lot south of his present hardware room, of Elizabeth Miller, and in 1865 erected buildings on the same. In 1875 his business block was burned, rebuilt, and again burned in 1880, and soon after rebuilt the second time. Besides this handsome brick block, he has constructed many dwellings in the town of Milton, including the Hotel Haag, which magnificent structure was erected in 1890 at a cost of over seventy-five thousand dollars, and opened up for business on April 1, 1890. Mr. Haag was married, February 20, 1852, to Sarah Schuck, daughter of Philip and Catharine (Diebert) Schuck. She was born July 19th, 1821 in Union county, Pennsylvania, and to her union with Mr. Haag have been born six children: William A., deceased; Mary E., the wife of John Buoy; Charles H., deceased; Sallie, deceased; Thomas J.; and Hettie, the wife of C. A. Chapin. Mr. Haag was postmaster while at McEwensville and also trustee of school funds at the same place. He was appointed one of the distributing committee of the relief funds after the great fire of 1880. He was a director of the National Bank of Milton from 1865 to 1875. HAAG, Benneville Knauss (I1492)
 
150 Biography of Charles COMLY (father of Abraham L.)
Portrait & Biographical Record Winnebago & Boone Cos., IL. Chicago: Biographical Pub. Co., 1892, pp 266-267

Charles COMLY was born in Milton, Northumberland County, PA, 22 Oct 1814. He is a son of Thomas and Catherine (HUNTER) COMLY, the former of whom was born 17 Aug 1789, in Chester County, PA. He was the son of Ezra and Hannah (IREDELL) COMLY, and a descendant of one Henry COMLY, who came to this country from England in company with William PENN, in 1682. Henry COMLY was married 17 Aug 1695 to Miss Agnes HEATON.

Thomas IREDELL emigrated from England to the U. S. in 1700 and was married 09 Apr 1705 to Rebecca WILLIAMS. The mother of our subject was born 06 Jul 1796, in Northumberland County, PA, and spent her last days in Lycoming County, PA, her decease occurring when 76 years of age. Ezra COMLY was a lumber merchant and died in Northumberland County, PA, when 80 years of age, his wife's decease [p 267] occurring at the same place in her 84th year. The grandfather of our subject was a son of Henry and Agnes (HEATON) COMLY.

The mother of our subject was the daughter of David and Isabella (PATTERSON) HUNTER, the former of whom was a native of Ireland and died when 68 years of age in Lycoming County, PA, leaving a wife and seven children. The mother, Isabella HUNTER, was a native of the Keystone State [PA], and her demise occurred in Lycoming County at the age of 76 years. The PATTERSONs were of Scotch-Irish descent, while the COMLYs are among old and prominent families of the U. S.

Charles COMLY of this sketch remained at home until 22 years of age, when on 08 Dec 1856 he was married in Union County, PA, to Miss LUDWIG. His wife was born in Berks County, PA, 05 Jan 1816, and is the daughter of Abram and Hannah (BOWER) LUDWIG, natives of PA, whose decease occurred in LaPorte County, IN, at the respective ages of 78 and 80 years. The parents of Mrs. COMLY were of German descent and old residents of PA.

After his marriage our subject worked by the month for four years, and then rented for three years, when he was enabled to purchase 64 acres of good land in PA, which he cultivated and resided upon until 1854. Then disposing of his acreage, Mr. COMLY came to Winnebago County and located on his present farm of 135 acres, which was partially improved at the time it came into his possession. As before stated, the excellent buildings on the farm have been the work of his enterprise, and in every sense of the word he maybe considered a model and modern farmer.

To Mr. and Mrs. COMLY have been born 10 children, one of whom [Lucy] is deceased. [Note the 1905 biography of Abraham L. COMLY, presented below, lists 11 children.] Those living are (1) Isabella [Isabella P. in the biography that follows], who was born 01 Aug 1840, and is married and the mother of five children; (2) Caroline, born 23 May 1842, is married and has seven children; (3) Hanna M. [Hannah in the biography that follows below], who was born 23 Dec 1844, is married and has a family of four children; (4) Catherine, born 18 Nov 1845, is married and has one child; (5) Mary [Mary E. in the biography below], born 09 Sep 1847, is married and the mother of five children; (6) Thomas, who was born 22 Apr 1849, is single; (7) Abraham L., born 18 Sep 1852, is the father of two children; (8) Charles H. [Charles Hunter in the biography below], born 27 Jan 1856, is a physician and resides in IA; (9) Edwin D., born 14 May 1863, married Miss Jennie LINCOLN, and is the father of a son and daughter. His wife was born 28 May 1867, and is a daughter of William and Lucy LINCOLN. Our subject and his wife have four great grandchildren. The family are prominent citizens of the county and were originally Quakers. Mr. COMLY has a nephew who was a soldier in the late war and who carried a ball over 22 years. 
COMLY, Charles (I6926)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27» Next»