From Bell’s History of Northumberland County 1891: The original survey of the town plat was made in the month of March, 1792, and extended from Ferry lane to the north side of Broadway, with its eastern limit nearly identical with the Philadelphia and Erie railroad; three years later (1795) James Black laid out his land from Broadway to Locust; he gave to the continuation of Front street the name of Water, and to the second street the name of Front, for which its present designation, Arch, was substituted after the fire of 1880.
No important additions were made to the town plat until after the opening of the railroads. In 1853 J. J. Reimensnyder laid out “Shakespeare”, and William McCleery's addition was made soon after. William F. Nagle’s addition was made in 1855, J. B. Davis’s in 1856, Lawson & Schreyer’s in 1864, Moses Chamberlin’s in 1867, William Heinen’s in 1872, and various others since that date, as the increase in population and demand for building sites required.
Front street, extending along the river and parallel with its course, is the main business and residence thoroughfare of the borough. The streets parallel with it, though not continuous, are Elm, Arch, Filbert, Bound avenue, Cemetery avenue, Rose, and Garfield; the intersecting streets are Lime, Ferry, Apple, Lower Market, Mahoning, Center, Broadway, Walnut, Upper Market, Locust, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Hepburn, and Willow. While not characterized by the degree of uniformity that would have been desirable, the plan of the town is not noticeably irregular.