This building faces Race Street, which was built where the mill race from Limestone Run that powered Baker’s Mill used to be. The view is to the southwest. The canal ran on the left side of the building. Shimer bought the land from the Masteller estate, which can be seen on the 1870 map.
From Bell’s History of Northumberland County 1891: S. J. Shimer & Sons - In 1872 the senior member of this firm, associated with George Shimer, George Applegate, and C. L. Johnston, established a planing mill at the present location of their works in the Third ward of Milton. Although the business of the firm was the manufacture of lumber almost exclusively, a small machine shop was operated in connection with it, and here a matcher-head was originated by George and S. J. Shimer, for which they secured letters patent. The establishment was burned in the fire of 1880 and rebuilt as a machine shop, and as such it has since been operated, almost entirely in the manufacture of matcher-heads and other specialties. The main building, thirty-six by one hundred forty feet in dimensions, is thoroughly equipped, with engine lathes, planers, shapers, millers, drills, etc., and in another building, thirty-six by seventy-five feet, are the lathes and planers upon which the heavier product is manufactured. Seventy-five operatives are employed. The matcher-head made here is used in all parts of the United States, in Australia, England, Canada, and elsewhere, and has probably attained a wider circulation than any other of Milton's industrial products.
Note: Sometime after the last grandson, Harold Lawson Shimer, retired from the business in 1957, the business was sold to the Wisconsin Knife Works.