This picture was taken after the great fire of 1880.
From the book “Milton, Pennsylvania, the 19th Century Town on Limestone Run” by Homer F. Folk; photo courtesy of the Milton Historical Society:
Stone mason Peter Swartz built most of the stone bridges in the Milton area. He is credited with building this stone house for James Black in 1796. Black lost two hundred acres and the house in a sheriff‘s sale to Philadelphia merchant and speculator, William Wister. After Wister‘s death, his daughter sold the buildings and the remaining land to Milton merchants and brothers, William and Thomas Pollock in 1801. Governor James Pollock‘s Milton residence was across the street, on the west side of Front Street.