Simon Peter Brown and his wife Laura Bida (Knauff) Brown built this house. The address is not listed in the census of 1900, so it was probably built soon after that. Mr. Brown died in 1907, and Mrs. Brown lived here with her parents, John and Susannah A. (Clinger) Knauff in 1910. Mr. Brown became a partner in the Heinen & Shreyer company, and after the death of Mr. Heinen the firm became Shreyer, Brown & Co., continuing as such until Mr. Brown withdrew from the company in 1894.