The empty lot on the SE corner of Water (Front) and First Streets was owned by Joseph Angstadt on the map of 1858. Robert McCormick, a farmer, built the house, and is shown as the owner on the map of 1870.
The house was later owned by William Pollock Dougal, who worked as a farmer and lumber merchant, and later was one of the founders of Murray, Dougal & Co., known as the Milton Car works, and later American Car & Foundry.
By 1910 the home had been bought by Edmund Hunter Heaton, who was working as manager of a creamery. His daughter Emily and her husband William Walter Wilson lived there in 1940.