This picture was taken from Broadway, facing southeast. Filbert Street is on the far side of the tracks. The roof of the Philadelphia & Erie passenger station can be seen over the top of the railcar. This rail line came to Milton in 1854 as the Catawissa, Williamsport, & Erie Railroad. In 1860 it was renamed the Catawissa Railroad. The Philadelphia & Reading Railroad took over the operations of the former Catawissa Railroad in 1872. The old Catawissa passenger and freight stations were located just south of Mahoning Street, as can be seen on the 1870 map. This station was torn down by the railroad in April of 1946 because it was not being used, and the company needed additional space for the trucks loading and unloading at their nearby freight depot.
From Bell’s History of Northumberland County 1891: The opening of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad to Milton occurred in 1854. It established railroad communication with Philadelphia, and was continued to Williamsport in 1871. In 1883 the Reading Company constructed their line from West Milton to Shamokin, thus giving Milton the advantage of a competing line in that direction.
Photo below from the book "Chronicles and Legends of Milton" by George S. Venios
This view is looking west. The Rippel building is to the right, on Broadway. The Joseph H. Johnson Coal Yard can be seen to the left.