This picture was made from a point just below the Milton Cemetery, looking southwest.
Picture courtesy of Ross Stevenson and Ron Budman
From the book “Milton, Pennsylvania, the 19th Century Town on Limestone Run” by Homer F. Folk – Milton, 1847: John Heyl Raser was a talented artist who took time out from his busy career as a proprietor and druggist to sketch and paint what Milton looked like in 1847. From the western point on Red Hill, looking southwest toward the covered river bridge, he sketched the southern part of Colonel Pollock’s farm and Milton. Locust Street was the entrance to the Pollock farmhouse. From the canal bridge to the river, Locust Street was the northern boundary of Milton Borough until November 7, 1889. Dr. William McCleery’s steam sawmill is north of the Locust Street canal bridge. North of the sawmill are some of the Pollock farm buildings. The county road from Sunbury to Muncy runs through Milton and is in front of the Pollock barn. It will become the road bed for the Sunbury and Erie Railroad in the early 1850s. Raser shows the West Branch of the Pennsylvania Canal with a freight boat traveling south and two boats tied to the wharfs at the rear of Mill Street (North Arch Street). One is a freight boat and the one near the Upper Market Street bridge is a packet boat (passenger). On Broadway hill at the far left is Milton Academy with bell tower, which never received a bell.