The stone building with the ramp was the William K. Wertman Carriage Works, but by the time this picture was taken, it was the home of West Branch Novelty. It can be seen on the map of 1896.
From the book “Milton, Pennsylvania, the 19th Century Town on Limestone Run” by Homer F. Folk, photo courtesy of the LeRoy Sweitzer Collection:
John Rippel’s photograph from his studio on Broadway looking northeast toward Red Hill, showing a portion of Milton around 1895. William Wertman was a victim of the 1880 fire on Broadway. He moved his Carriage Works to Mill Street, and it is his ramp at the rear of the stone building. It was the custom for carriage makers to complete their products on the second floor and bring them down a ramp to ground level.
Bridges over the canal were at every street. Shown are the bridges at Walnut, Upper Market and Locust Streets. At Locust Street, along the right side of the canal is the two-story office of Murray, Dougal & Company - Milton Car Works. Further right is the erection shop, which was built of stone in 1881 at a cost of thirty-one thousand dollars. Today, it is the pressed steel department. In the background, behind the pressed steel building, is the western point of Red Hill. It is here that artists and photographers have captured the history of Milton on paper, plates and film. In 1880 a wooden erection shop was the first to burn when the fire started at the sawmill on the north side of Locust Street.