Milton History

a pictorial history of Milton, PA

Flood of 1889

The Flood of 1889 - Looking east across the Susquehanna River from the island

The Baker Grist Mill can be seen on the far left, followed by the tannery. Below it is the stone arched bridge where Front Street crosses Limestone Run. The Trinity Lutheran Church steeple on Mahoning Street is on the right. The bridge to the island was on the damaged piers in the foreground before being washed away. Just to the left of the end of the bridge is the Baker Block, which contained grocery, fish and liquor stores on the first floor, and probably rented rooms on the second. The building falling down the river bank to the right of the bridge was the bake house in back of the bakery that became the Frederick W. Wolf restaurant.

Picture from the book "Chronicles and Legends of Milton" by George Venios