This view is looking southeast from the corner of Center and Elm Streets. Rev. Ervin R. Powell was the minister in 1910. He lived at 52 Mahoning Street with his wife Sarah and sons Harold and Frank.
From Bell’s History of Northumberland County 1891: The Milton Baptist Church originated in the labors of the Rev. Eugene Kincaid, a missionary of that church who visited this place in 1826 while on a preaching tour through the West Branch region. There was then but one member of his church here, Miss Susanna Thomas, but Mr. Kincaid at once entered upon the work of preaching, and on the 25th of August, 1826, organized a society with nine members, viz., Eugene Kincaid and Almy his wife, William Thomas and Catherine his wife, Susanna Thomas, Nathan and Martha Delany, Sarah Watts, and Harriet Geddis. The first service of baptism by immersion in the Susquehanna at this point occurred on Sunday, September 10, 1826, immediately after the morning sermon, when the missionary pastor baptized his recent converts in the presence of a large concourse of people assembled on the river banks. The first deacons of this church, James Moore, Sr., and William Thomas, were ordained in August, 1832.
The first church building, a plain one-story brick building of medium size, with steeple and bell, was built in 1829 on the west side of Church Lane (Filbert Street), upon ground donated for the purpose by James Moore, and served as a place of worship until 1868. In that year a two-story brick edifice was erected at the southeast corner of Elm and Center streets. It was burned in 1880, and was succeeded by the present church building, a brick structure with tower in front, one of the most substantial and attractive places of worship in the borough.
The following is a list of pastors since the organization of the church: Eugenio Kincaid, 1826-30; George Higgins, 1830-34; Thomas B. Brown, 1835-37; David C. Wait, 1838-39; Collins Hewitt, 1840-45; Joel E. Bradley, 1846-52; Howard Malcolm, D. D., president of Bucknell University, 1853-56; Thomas F. Curtis, D. D., professor in Bucknell University, 1856-63; James Parker, T. E. Clapp, and William B. Thomas, 1864-68; A. C. Wheat, 1868-70; Joseph Green Miles, 1871-78; E. C. Houck, A. H. Emmons, and W. C. McNaul, present pastor.