This picture was taken from the Gresh House hotel facing southwest, just south of Broadway. The ruins of the Philadelphia & Erie RR passenger station are out of the picture off the lower right corner. Locust Alley (later Filbert Street) runs across the picture, and the canal can be seen behind the burned homes. Beyond the canal were lumber and coal yards. In earlier years, Locust Alley was a beautiful tree-lined lane with homes and churches. By 1880 it had become largely commercial.
The iron fence on the left is on the property of Samuel Rhoads, a pattern maker. Next to the right was Miss Elizabeth Moore, and on the far right was the home of Jacob Campbell, a saddle and harness maker, who died in 1854 at the age of 38. His daughter Celinda lived there at the time of the fire. These properties can be seen on the map of 1870.
Photo courtesy of the Milton Historical Society