This picture was taken in 1932. The Vaudeville acts shown here in earlier years had been replaced by motion pictures. The interior of the theatre is shown below. Elwood Frymire was the proprietor when the picture below was taken.
The William B. Chamberlin home at no. 23 can be seen on the right, and on the left are the John C. Balliet home at no. 37, the Sydney H. Souter home at no. 41, and the James P. McCleery home at no. 45. John R. Smith had a music store in the left side at no. 33. He lived at 29 Walnut Street with his wife Sarah and son John in 1910.
The picture at left shows the same block after the buildings had been demolished to make way for the new Post Office. The Hepburn-McCleery home can be seen on the left at the corner of Walnut Street. The steeple of the Presbyterian Church can be seen in the center, and the German Reformed Church on the right side.
Notice the back of the steam shovel with the smoke billowing out. It was probably made by the Erie Steam Shovel Company in the 1920s, and looked similar to the picture below.
Glass slide photo courtesy of the Milton Historical Society
From Bell’s History of Northumberland County 1891: J. R. SMITH, proprietor of a furniture and music store, was born in Centre county, Pennsylvania, October 17, 1838, son of William and Isabella (Reighard) Smith. He was reared in Union county from the age of four years, and received his education at the Mifflinburg Academy, after which he engaged in teaching. He subsequently removed to Columbia county, Pennsylvania, and was engaged in the mercantile and boat building business three years, and then went to Mooresburg and one year later to Pottsgrove, this county, where he conducted a mercantile business until 1884. In November, 1879, he established his present business in Milton, and was burned out in May, 1880, but immediately started again under a tent, and continued his business until the completion of his present mammoth store room, which is erected upon the former site of the Academy of Music. He now has the largest wholesale and retail establishment of the kind in the county, and one of the largest in the State. In December, 1869, he married Sarah C., daughter of William Reed, of Pottsgrove, by whom he has two children: William R. and John R. G. Mr. Smith is a Presbyterian, while his wife is a member of the Lutheran church; in politics he is a Democrat.