Photo above courtesy of the Milton Historical Society
Scrolling to the right, you can see a rail car being loaded. The tracks lie where the canal was before it was abandoned in 1901. The American Car & Foundry machine shop can be seen on the other side of the tracks. The buildings to the far right are on the south side of Locust Street. They are the AC&F office and erecting shop.
From Bell’s History of Northumberland County: D. Clinger’s Planing Mills, Arch street above Locust, established in 1855 by Balliet, Billmyer & Goodlander, were the first in this section of the state and have been continuously operated since their first inception, being almost the only industrial
institution of the town that survived the fire of 1880. The present proprietor has operated the mill since 1866.
DANIEL CLINGER, lumber manufacturer, was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, November 18, 1837, son of Henry and Susanna (Wagner) Clinger, natives of Chester and Berks counties, respectively, who moved to Limestone Township, Lycoming county, in 1828. Daniel was reared in Lycoming county, and was educated at the township schools. In June, 1867, he came to Milton, and became a member of the firm of Balliet, Dreisbach & Clinger, lumber manufacturers. He has since purchased the interests of the other members, and for fourteen years he has conducted the business alone. Mr. Clinger is a stockholder and director in the Milton Trust and Safe Deposit Company, and also one of the executive board. He also is a director in the Milton Creamery Company and the Milton Record Publishing Company. He is an active Democrat, and is a school director of Milton and treasurer of the school and building fund. In 1860 he married Sarah Amanda, daughter of Israel and Leah (Moore) Gann, of Lycoming county, and by this union they have six children: Harry R.; Edgar M.; Frank W.; George W.; Joseph A., and Daniel J. Mr. Clinger has served as elder in the Reformed church for many years.