Picture courtesy of the Milton Historical Society
From the book “Milton, Pennsylvania, the 19th Century Town on Limestone Run” by Homer F. Folk” :
Curtin School was built on the site of W. H. Wetzel‘s Hepburn Street Marble Works. A native of New Jersey, Wetzel came to Milton in 1875. He built a general stone cutting business, specializing in marble and granite tombstones. Wetzel sold his land to the Milton School Board and a two story brick schoolhouse with four classrooms was ready for the 1891-1892 school term. In 1905 an addition was erected of brick with four classrooms.
The drawing below shows the footprint of the school before the tower was built.