Picture from the book "Milton, Pennsylvania, the 19th Century Town on Limestone Run"
by Homer F. Folk, courtesy of the Davis family.
The lock tender's house shown was at 511 Cherry Street, just north of Cameron Avenue. The last lock tender was Captain William Curtis Fortney (1856 - 1937). In the background are buildings of the Milton Manufacturing Company. The shell plant was built behind this office in 1917 to support the needs for WWI. The picture was taken about 1910.